Hammerhead Sighting!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvchief

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Probably just a coincidence but a large one was spotted off Palancar (?) last year on 1 April plus a smaller one a couple weeks prior. As I understand the current has just started returning to a normal North flow a few days back. I wonder if this may be a factor?
Where were you and did anyone get pictures?

REALLY! Where was I?!?!?! That is so on my list. A guy on the trip from Belgium got some stills and video, I think. Hopefully he will share soon!

There's been a big hammerhead hanging around for the past couple of months. I haven't gotten lucky enough to see it, other than in other divers' videos and photos.
Always nice to hear that it's still about, and chances of seeing it are still good!

First sighting I heard, in Febuary, was inshore of Palancar Gardens, about 30' of water. I've heard of sightings about everywhere from Cantarel to Maracaibo. I hope my peek at it is coming soon!!

In one of the last dive reports I got from Julie for the radio station, the person who she was interviewing had just seen one. ... the guy was so excited! even after getting back to the dock!

... just get him to hang out for another 35 days or so ... :D

A big one off Maricaibo Wall came in to take a close look at our group in July 2009.

Apparently there are at least two sizable hammerheads cruising the reef in Cozumel right now. The one up at Cantarel is a scalloped hammerhead, and the one seen south of town is a great hammerhead. Word from long-time, most excellent DM Dario.

And in a very strange side note, I have my seaside doors open and am hearing a distant, ghostly rendition of Achy Breaky Heart wavering in. Seems to be getting closer. Yes, other voices singing with the recording...
Does the pirate ship play Achy Breaky Heart? Seriously?!? They just came into view....

As promised, the video and images from Alain. A little blue, but so kewl:

A hammerhead April 16.jpg

A hammerhead April 16-2.jpg

And not a Hammerhead, but still cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom