Halogen vs. HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
Good afternoon all I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade a halogen cannister light to a HID light? Not sure if it would be a simple upgrade or not worth the trouble. I have a 35W abyss cannister light and would love to make it HID. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Offhand, the only parts that you could probably save are the canister body and battery. You'd need a new lighthead, cable and lid. The light may or may not work with your existing battery.

I'd sell the light and get a good, cost effective 10W HID. Dive Rite makes a very nice one, as do many others for somewhat more money. NiMH batteries are still much more expensive than the standard lead acid/gel styles.

MD

MechDiver:
Offhand, the only parts that you could probably save are the canister body and battery. You'd need a new lighthead, cable and lid. The light may or may not work with your existing battery.

I'd sell the light and get a good, cost effective 10W HID. Dive Rite makes a very nice one, as do many others for somewhat more money. NiMH batteries are still much more expensive than the standard lead acid/gel styles.

MD

I echo MechDiver's thoughts exactly. I was going to go down the conversion process until I saw that the cost of the parts alone was going to be about 75% of what a new HID light would cost me.

I bought a DiveRite H10 with the 4.6amp Gel Cell battery and the Wreck 1 canister. Gives me about 4 hours of burn time. Cost was $675.00. The best part is I can upgrade the battery and charger and get 9 hours of burn time if I find I need the extra time...

Randy Cain

tndiveinstruct1:
I echo MechDiver's thoughts exactly. I was going to go down the conversion process until I saw that the cost of the parts alone was going to be about 75% of what a new HID light would cost me.

I bought a DiveRite H10 with the 4.6amp Gel Cell battery and the Wreck 1 canister. Gives me about 4 hours of burn time. Cost was $675.00. The best part is I can upgrade the battery and charger and get 9 hours of burn time if I find I need the extra time...

Randy Cain

I love my diverite Slimline HID. Can't remember the pricing (around $1000 CAD I think) and it's great. I wouldn't trade it for anything.....

As a side note I think it's worth mentioning that you're jumping from a $5 USD bulb to a $100 USD bulb. You may not have to replace them as often and the difference in beam is significant but the price difference is huge.

DiveMistress2:
I love my diverite Slimline HID. Can't remember the pricing (around $1000 CAD I think) and it's great. I wouldn't trade it for anything.....

As a side note I think it's worth mentioning that you're jumping from a $5 USD bulb to a $100 USD bulb. You may not have to replace them as often and the difference in beam is significant but the price difference is huge.

This is true. The bulb is VERY expensive ( $99.00) . The key there is to protect the bulb as much as possible when gearing up. I take the cable and hang it around my neck while I slip into the BP/wings.

I would also recommend if you do LOTS of diving with the light that you purchase an additional battery. That way you can change them out during a SI. The gel cel is $79.00

All Prices mentioned are US.

tndiveinstruct1:
This is true. The bulb is VERY expensive ( $99.00) . The key there is to protect the bulb as much as possible when gearing up.

Koozie has been beddy beddy guud 2 me.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom