Halcyon wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Halcyon set up. Stainless steel back plate and the traveler wing. I usually dive with a single tank adapter for the integrated weight. I have a trip coming up and to save some weight I removed the single tank adapter. The traveler wing has the holes that allows the tank straps to pass through and then trough the back plate. Exactly for travel reasons.

I tried this set up in a pool this week and noticed that my tank can move even if the tanks straps are tight. My impression is the tank bands slip / rotate with a bit of pressure making the cylinder of axis. This directly affects trim and buoyancy.

Any one have any ideas? Never had this issue with the single tank adapter installed.

I have a Halcyon set up. Stainless steel back plate and the traveler wing. I usually dive with a single tank adapter for the integrated weight. I have a trip coming up and to save some weight I removed the single tank adapter. The traveler wing has the holes that allows the tank straps to pass through and then trough the back plate. Exactly for travel reasons.

I tried this set up in a pool this week and noticed that my tank can moved even if the tanks straps are tight. My impression is the tank bands slip / rotate with a bit of pressure making the cylinder of axis. This directly affects trim and buoyancy.

Any one have any ideas? Never had this issue with the single tank adapter installed.
I’m assuming you mean that the tank is squirrely when it’s tightened down on the high ridge of the plate channel. There are probably grommets also in the way. Look into sewn fabric roll control logs that can be purchased as an accessory and placed between the tank and wing. They use low profile sex bolts through the plate holes to attach. Or you could maybe use individual mini STA brackets top and bottom that can hold the tank steady.

These:
EF800214-4F73-476A-8C34-EEEF606D148C.jpeg

I tried this set up in a pool this week and noticed that my tank can move even if the tanks straps are tight. My impression is the tank bands slip / rotate with a bit of pressure making the cylinder of axis. This directly affects trim and buoyancy.

The Traveller wing is usually paired with the Carbon Fiber Pro plate which has a built in single tank adapter. It is going to roll without a STA on the stainless steel plate. I would follow formernuke's advice and bring the STA. It is only 2.4 pounds.

The Traveller wing is usually paired with the Carbon Fiber Pro plate which has a built in single tank adapter. It is going to roll without a STA on the stainless steel plate. I would follow formernuke's advice and bring the STA. It is only 2.4 pounds.
So Halcyon just got back to me and told me exactly this. I was under the impression that the tank bands could be passed through what I thought were tank band slots on the back plate. I learned that those are for rebreathers.

I will be bring the sta adapter without the integrated weight in that case as going carbon fibre is not in my cards at the moment.

The wing nuts and screws on the STA have a habit of becoming loose. This will cause some tank movement

I have the Halcyon Traveler wings in 20lb and 30lb. I wanted to be able to use them without an STA so I sewed up some roll stabilizers using delrin tubes and tube webbing. Works great and weighs almost nothing.

IMG_8372.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom