Halcyon weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icantdive55

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just drove 320 miles round trip to gat a set of the Halcyon weight pockets. I chose the smaller ones that are advertised to hold 6 pounds per pocket. When I got them home much to my surprise I coundn't get more than a few pounds in them and still be able to snap them into place. I tried a 6 pound molded hip weight, a 5 pound sack weight, a 2 pound sack weight and a 3 pounder together, none worked. Both Halcyon and the dealer said I should return them for the bigger ones (advertised at 10 pounds per side) so that I could put my 6 pounds in there. I don't want the bigger ones and I don't want to drive another 320 miles. Has any one had the same problem and how did you get it to work? Halcyon says it can be done but hasn't given me the brand name of the weights they used. The dealer said that they barely got 5 pounds in the pocket but didn't respond when asked if they got the pocket to snap into place. I can be pretty creative but right now it looks as though I need to cut the buckles off and extend the webbing then sew the buckles back on and I really don't want to do that.

Ben_ca:
Return for a refund and just use a regular weight belt...

Been using a regular weight belt for 34 years. Thought I'd try something else. Besides that's like giving up on a challenge!

Hell, you don't want that much weight in them anyway.

Best bet might be to get a heavy plate. Tobin offers some pretty slick ones with removable weight panels, and FredT makes a finished 1/4" SS plate that I think one of which is hanging in the Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art. It's a freakin' masterpiece.

Both of them put around 12 lbs flat against your back, and allow you to significantly decrease whatever poundage you were looking to hang on either hip. With a single 3# soft weight on each side plus the 12# plate you'd have 18 lbs negative. Any more than that and you'd need to go with a P-weight...which isn't that tough either. Fred sells them with his plates - mine was 7#, with the bp the total was 19#, then put a 2# or so on each side...its pretty flexible. Both Tobin and FredT are on this board, give either or both a shout.

Best,

Doc

icantdive55:
I just drove 320 miles round trip to gat a set of the Halcyon weight pockets. I chose the smaller ones that are advertised to hold 6 pounds per pocket. When I got them home much to my surprise I coundn't get more than a few pounds in them and still be able to snap them into place. I tried a 6 pound molded hip weight, a 5 pound sack weight, a 2 pound sack weight and a 3 pounder together, none worked. Both Halcyon and the dealer said I should return them for the bigger ones (advertised at 10 pounds per side) so that I could put my 6 pounds in there. I don't want the bigger ones and I don't want to drive another 320 miles. Has any one had the same problem and how did you get it to work? Halcyon says it can be done but hasn't given me the brand name of the weights they used. The dealer said that they barely got 5 pounds in the pocket but didn't respond when asked if they got the pocket to snap into place. I can be pretty creative but right now it looks as though I need to cut the buckles off and extend the webbing then sew the buckles back on and I really don't want to do that.
I'm glad someone else has brought this up. I had the same exact problem.
I took pictures and sent them to Halcyon and described the problem. Corey was very sympathetic, but could not understand why I could not fit a 5 or 6 pound soft bags in there.

I got frustrated with the situation and decided I didn't want them anymore. Corey allowed me to swap them for other gear.

I'm convinced it's a faulty design and they will not hold the stated capacity w/o extreme measures. Also bloody expensive.

I recommend getting some cheap X-pockets that will hold 4 pounds per side. If you need more weight, you'd have to go with heavy STA, and/or other weight somewhere. For me, that's enough, but other folks who are more buoyant or have thicker undergarments will have to set creative 10 use a thicker plate as Doc I suggested.

Thanks to all for the replies. Even those that e-mailed privately. I tried again today and was able to get a 5 pound sack weight in the pocket and get it snapped closed. The snap was VERY tight but it did snap. Then I was able to stick my index finger in the pocket alongside the weight far enough that I will have to admit that 6 pounds will fit IF you have the right sack(s). To coin an old phrase from my dad "it's not so much a fit as it is a convulsion". But it will work.

I owned a pair of Halcyon weight pockets for a very short time. They are, sad to say, the only thing I have ever e-bayed and felt guilty for sticking on some hapless diver.

They are extemely over rated in addition to being extremely over priced. I have used Dive Rite pockets ever since and have not regretted it.

I use those pockets , right now im running 4 pounds in each side , two two pounders . I have run a 2 and a 3 before . Six pounds is going too be tough but possible. Right now the main problem i have had is they like to fall out and just hang by the buckle. If they dont fall out they usually hang out about 3/4 the way in front of me. David over at halcyon is handling my problem with them, hopefully there will a fix soon

terrasmak:
I use those pockets , right now im running 4 pounds in each side , two two pounders . I have run a 2 and a 3 before . Six pounds is going too be tough but possible. Right now the main problem i have had is they like to fall out and just hang by the buckle. If they dont fall out they usually hang out about 3/4 the way in front of me. David over at halcyon is handling my problem with them, hopefully there will a fix soon
This is very good example of what DIR isn't about: introduce (not needed) new piece of gear which causes problems and then try to fix it.

I had issues getting weight into the smaller pockets also. My problem was with the velcro inside the pocket sealing before the weight (soft) could make it to the bottom. I solved that with a 2" piece of velcro that I put deep into the pocket to prevent the pocket's velcro from coming together. It works well for me. Try spraying silicon on the buckles on the weight pockets to help get them closed.

By the way, if you have a thin waist, the long pockets are a problem with the buckle. I only use them on my drysuit.

Good luck.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom