Halcyon & Salvo SMB's, Oxycheq Backup Light For Sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCU5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I have some gear I'm selling to fund other purchases.

Halcyon 4.5' SMB in great condition, $80 shipped to your door and Paypal'd. The bolt snap is in very good condition (my initials are on the H emblem) and I'm estimating it's got between 70-100 dives on it. It generally stays in my pocket and doesn't get much use.

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

Salvo 6' SMB in excellent condition. Has around 50-70 dives on it and has been in my pocket most of the time, hardly used. I've added SOLAS Tape to the top for added visibility.

$50 shipped to your door and Paypal'd.
IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG

All the best,
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I'm interested in the Halcyon SMB, but I have a couple of questions on it:

1) I have a Halcyon catalog, and on the upper part of page 24 it says "Closed-circuit designs feature Halcyon's patented No-Lock BC connector; can be inflated orally or with BC low pressure hose." But then lower down on the page it says "Closed-circuit bags eliminate the risk of gas loss at the surface and provide optional surface flotation but must be filled with a low pressure inflator hose." I may be missing something, but those to statements seem contradictory to me. Can you confirm whether or not it can be orally inflated?

2) It seems to be a bit banana shaped in the photo (leaning to one side); is this just because it is not inflated all the way?

3) Before I go with the Halcyon one.... after using both would you steer me toward the Salvo one instead? I'm looking for one to carry with me on OW dives, either drift, or in case of boat separation, etc.

Thanks!

Blue Sparkle

Hi Blue Sparkle,

Thanks for your questions.

1) Yes, it can be orally inflated or inflated via a low pressure hose. It is a one-way valve that you can blow into or plug into your inflator hose and does not allow air to escape(you don't want it to deflate, in particular, on the surface).

2) All the Halcyon closed circuit SMB's get a bit of a banana shape going when fully inflated. It's not an issue at all and is caused by the seam running up only one side of the SMB.

3) I would recommend the Halcyon SMB over the Salvo. In general I think Halcyon gear is of finer construction and this SMB, though it's hard to see in the photo, is much fatter than the Salvo SMB and thus a much bigger surface area for a boat to see you from.

Best,
Jim

I want to post back to say that I have decided not to buy the SMB and that it is still available as far as I know. From everything I have read the Halcyon SMBs sound really nice, and I like that it would be tall and wide on the surface. I looked it up and see that it has 40# of lift, and I'm thinking that may be a bit large for my newbie self to handle, and that I should get past the inevitable first catastrophes with something a bit smaller. Maybe I can avoid being the "star" of one of those youtube videos where the diver is all wrapped up in line and going up like a fast elevator :wink:

From all I have read this is a great SMB though, and Jim 's looks to be in really nice condition at a nice price.

Thanks for the additional information, Jim.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom