Halcyon pocket shorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a pair of pocket shorts before my fundies class in May. Seems like highland is available everywhere, with a bit of SP and Dive Rite scattered around, too. I've seen some old references to Halcyon pocket shorts, but can't seem to find anything recent or someplace that sells them. Are they still being made?

scubapro and Highland are currently available, both work well if you use bungee's in them instead of the included D ring attachment.
Halcyon does not make any that i am aware of.

alternatively you could call gamble scuba in gainesville and have him sew on halcyon pockets to your wetsuit (which i did for one of my suits) he does nice work

Gamble Scuba

alternative solution: have a local seamstress sew them on but use the wetsuit glue around the edge to mate them, use 2-3 coats on the wet suit and the pocket around the edge then sew the edge. you will need 2-4 tubes of the wetsuit cement (or one can) from trident or McNett

hope that helps.

Dive-xtras makes the X-shorts, the only ones I was really aware of. Because wetsuits are generally rather impermanent, I have glued the same set of Halcyon pockets on a succession of 3mm suits.

X-Shorts (S) - X Shorts - Dive Xtras

My pockets aren't filled with money but Piranha dive have a very solid pair of pocket shorts for easy money.

scubapro and Highland are currently available, both work well if you use bungee's in them instead of the included D ring attachment.
Halcyon does not make any that i am aware of.

alternatively you could call gamble scuba in gainesville and have him sew on halcyon pockets to your wetsuit (which i did for one of my suits) he does nice work

Gamble Scuba

alternative solution: have a local seamstress sew them on but use the wetsuit glue around the edge to mate them, use 2-3 coats on the wet suit and the pocket around the edge then sew the edge. you will need 2-4 tubes of the wetsuit cement (or one can) from trident or McNett

hope that helps.

Was thinking about just getting the pockets sewn onto my wetsuit. If I go that route, there is a Xcel factory outlet here that does repair work. I figure I could get them to sew the pockets on fairly easily.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 05:19 PM ----------

My pockets aren't filled with money but Piranha dive have a very solid pair of pocket shorts for easy money.

Don't know why I didn't think to check Piranha...I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the past.

Just remember big pockets add lots of drag...you want the smallest that will do the job. The big pockets on my DUI TLS 350 are ridiculously high in drag...one thing for in cave without current, and entirely another thing in ocean WITH strong currents.....Maybe if you dive exclusively with a scooter it won't matter..... Though I do prefer thigh pockets to BC pockets....

Just remember big pockets add lots of drag...you want the smallest that will do the job. The big pockets on my DUI TLS 350 are ridiculously high in drag...one thing for in cave without current, and entirely another thing in ocean WITH strong currents.....Maybe if you dive exclusively with a scooter it won't matter..... Though I do prefer thigh pockets to BC pockets....
I don't follow what you're saying here...haven't you already broke the water plane that the pockets sit in with your arms?

I dive almost exclusively with a scooter, but I'm not convinced that pockets matter all that much. Maybe if you've got a cave cut dry suit they're one more thing to consider.

I don't follow what you're saying here...haven't you already broke the water plane that the pockets sit in with your arms?

I dive almost exclusively with a scooter, but I'm not convinced that pockets matter all that much. Maybe if you've got a cave cut dry suit they're one more thing to consider.
I could be nit picking for the purposes of many...but I do alot of very high current diving, with wetsuit rather than drysuit when possible to eliminate the monstrous drag of a drysuit....
Small thigh pockets I don't feel on wetsuit pants, but in the past I did cobble on a large pair the size of what my Dry suit has, and I could feel the "air brakes" :)
I know the breaking the water makes a big difference, hence the thigh position being better than torso.....If this was a cave site, I don't think I would have commented...but we do have issues with it here in ocean---just Sunday night I dove BHB with Sandra....we went in an hour early as usual( wearing dry suits, since Sandra likes to do 4 hour dives at BHB), while tide was coming in current was really blowing. I got positioned on the lee side of one of the bridge supports where I was going to shoot some macro video of some small stuff, and could actually feel my legs being yanked on by the current.... I don't feel this at all with the wet suit, and the stupid large pockets I have just exaggerate what I don't like about hydrodynamic issues in a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom