Halcyon Pioneer single wing without STA, bolts needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am new to the bp/w setup and trying to figure out how to best secure my new (to me) Halcyon Pioneer wing to the backplate/cylinder.
I can thread my cylinder straps through the backplate and wing, but do I need to bolt the wing to the plate as well or is it enough to just hold the wing in place with the tank straps?

Thanks!

You don't need to use anything to secure the wing to the plate. When locked down the tank is way more than necessary to lock the wing in place. However the wing might be a bit unwieldy when trying to put the BC on the tank as there won't be anything to hold it in place.

Some people do use book screws or sex bolts (two names for the same thing) like the top ones in this link: Backplate Assembly Screws and Nuts - Dive Gear Express

I personally use the second ones in the link - the plastic ones. They are lower profile and don't interfere with the anti-roll tank pad thing on my wing.

I dove my Pioneer for a while without screws, but having that much play between the wing and the plate made tank insertion annoying. I avoid both of the DGE types linked to above and use the standard H metal book screws with the very flat base, which I face towards the tank. The plastic screws are actually thicker in the base than the H metal ones. Backplate Pad Bolts and Sets | Wreck Diver Supply

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom