Halcyon / OMS/ LMNO Lights - Why isn't the switch on the light head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Maybe its on the canister to keep it out of harm's way? But a protector would do fine for that...or maybe a locking on / off device.

The switch is a potential flood point - surely its no better to flood a battery than it is to flood a light head, is it?

Switches aren't heavy or big - that ballast on the 18W is bigger than the switch.

Does the switch need to break the circuit closer to the battery for some reason? If it breaks the circuit before the head, does it make a difference?

It wouldn't change the design of the cord would it? Still a 2 conductor cord would work.

Am I just mental - no soup for a year...

I'm confident the brightstars at Halcyon have dismissed this simple change for a reason. I just can't figure out why. On my maiden voyage the other day. I was thinking it sure would be more convienent to have the switch on the head. You know, ehere I could, oh, I dunno SEE IT. of course its a binary issue - light on, switch on... but not if something happened...

I'm confident this has been addressed here - and I didn't search for the answer before posting (bad Ken...) but c'mon...what's the scoop, troop?

Ken

I would think the switch would be less prone to vibration, etc. on a stationary lid than on the head. I have seen a few HID lights that are activated by twisting the head, and they always seemed to have problems...

There are a lot of reasons for the switch to not be on the light head, and a lot of reasons to put it there as well. It's entirely subjective as to if it is "good" or not.

I don't know the exact design criteria that anyone else may have used to decide where to put the light switch, but to be honest, on a cannister light, there isn't much to be gained by placing a switch on the light head. Generally you turn on the light and leave it on. You don't need to access the switch again till the dive is over.

The switch is positioned on the back beacuse the company would then have to water-proof the switch. This task isn't easy, and would cost more money! So unless you want to spend more $$$............ I know that PATCO makes their switches built right into the handle, and they are the same price as Sartek!

I certainly agree that it would be very convenient.

However, is it necessary. I turn the light on at the beginning of the dive and off when I get back on the boat.

I do this because (1) I use the light to stay in contact with my buddy; and (2) its not good the an HID bulb to be cycled too rapidly or too often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom