Halcyon Focus alternatives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Norwegian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Need some input/thoughts from someone else.

I´ve been using the H Focus for about a year now and have to admit I´m not super happy with it. Although the function (light) is good in the low viz conditions here in the south of Norway, the construction is not appealing to me. The handle, the switch and zoom, just to many moving parts that can get tangled or moved. The lighted is long and the handle is flimsy. Or maybe it´s just me.

Dived with the Agir Mjôlner for a long time. Rock solid 16w led light, simple and effective and tough as nails. Could surely use it as a hammer. This is not how I feel about the focus.

So, now I´m considering selling the H and replacing it with a new light. Have been looking at the LM 26 led or UWLD 26. Both get good feed back and are know for good quality. Since I live in Norway and UWLD have no dealers in Europe I leaning against the Light Monkey. They have both the 26w and 32w, but are a bit worried that the 32w might give to much backscatter here?

The con with the LM´s are that (to my knowledge) they only have the on/off function, no 50% function which is useful when conditions are at it´s worst.

So what do I do? Shut up and stick with the H, or get something else? And if something else, which one?

Your feedback is appreciated!

And no, english is not my spoken language, so most errors should be excused.

uwld, the LM lights are very very old technology and you are at high risk if you fly with them. UWLD is setting up a dealer in Denmark I believe as we speak and he is fully trained in servicing the lights, not that there is much to go wrong. With the UWLD you gain piezo button on the head with multiple intensities, charging base that doesn't require the light to be disassembled, a fully tested battery pack cleared for flight, and a much smaller profile. If you get the two next to each other it isn't even a discussion. It is also one of the very few engineered lights on the market, the LM lights take off the shelf parts and throw them together, which is fine, but they aren't nearly as efficient as they ought to be, but that's what you have to deal with when your lighting technology is a decade old....

If you're going with UWLD, buck up and get the 35 over the 26, and if you're concerned for whatever reason about the beam being too wide, then go with the LD15 which has a 6* beam instead of 8*.

There's nothing that can compare to UWLD these days in terms of technology and form.

The only thing that you might look at instead of the MB-SUB tri-led looking thing. However, it is an inherently different light than the UWLD. They both have their own pros and cons. Personally, I went with the UWLD LD-35.

Is UWLD setting up a dealer in Denmark, interesting...Anyone knows who that is? Or I´ll just send Bob (?) a mail and ask..

But I hear what you are saying..

These are two excellent lights.

As others have said, the LM is very solid technology for the price, and a staple for the last few years. With the UWLD, you have some different ideas in the lights. If you are worried about the backscatter, you might go with the LM 26 over their larger 32w . If you go UWLD, go with the big one. The DRIS owner (Mike) uses the 35w and really likes it. I borrowed one to use in caves a few months ago and thought it was great. One of the things Mike likes, and uses often, is adjusting the output.

I also have a lot of respect for Bobby Franklin, the owner of UWLD. I like to patronize companies owned by people I like.

You can't go wrong with either light--just choose the features you like.

John, correction, the LD35 is not 35w, but 3500lumen. The watt draw on high for that light output is only 30w vs the Light Monkey that takes 32W to generate 2500lumen.

So, uwld it is then, anyone have a 26 or 32 for sale?

Sent fra min D5803 via Tapatalk

the big ones really are rare beasts to come up for sale. There were a bunch of gen4's that came up when the 5's came out last year, but you only see a handful for sale every year because most people keep them. You can upgrade quite easily from a 15/26 to the 35, and most people commit to their battery pack size, so there isn't really any reason to upgrade and sell off old lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom