Halcyon chooses the high road

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David K

Registered
Reaction score
I purchased a Halcyon Helios 9ah 18 watt HID light 18 months ago, I’ve taken it on over 150 salt water dives. It’s a killer combination; it’s small, powerful and has a well documented history of being very reliable.

A month or so ago I noticed a few drops of water inside the canister after a dive, the water appeared to be coming through the switch. I assumed the switch boot had a hole in it so I replaced it, in spite of my efforts to fix the problem it continued to leak. The switch & battery pack connectors started to corrode & the battery pack was damp on the bottom.

I though that after 18 months of use the lid O-ring may have failed or perhaps I had nicked the jacket on the light cord. I inspected both, neither appeared to be the source of my leak.

I considered my options; I could save myself some serious $ and purchase a new battery pack from a 3rd party & attempt to repair the light myself. I tried this once before a Pro 4 10W HID that I had flooded, the results weren’t what I had hoped for. Ultimately I decided to bite the bullet & send my light back to the factory for repair, I knew it wouldn’t be cheap but I was confident the factory repair would be rock solid.

Halcyon received my light on a Friday, the following Monday they diagnosed the problem & sent me an e-mail advising me of their findings. Water was entering the ballast compartment then running down my light cord into the canister. Even though my light was out of warranty Halcyon offered to repair my light free of charge. Cory at Halcyon told me that the root cause of my leak was a factory defect; the ballast wasn’t properly potted when it was originally assembled.

Halcyon could have kept their findings to themselves & charged me for the repair; instead they chose the high road. I am truly impressed with the integrity Halcyon has displayed in the handling of my light the repair….thanks Halcyon!

David Kertzman

PS
Halcyon turned my light around in three business days…….icing on the cake :D

thats good to hear. but most of these guys take their product serioulsy and will replace any parts deemed defective. not doing sowould be bad for their image.

I've always heard good stuff about Halcyon's customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

robbcayman:
I've always heard good stuff about Halcyon's customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

I have received lots of responses as a result of my post, so far only one person has indicated that they received unsatisfactory support from Halcyon & that case appears to be the result of a firewall @ Halcyon blocking an e-mail request for support from getting through.

David Kertzman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom