Halcyon Aluminium Backplate with stainless steel bolts for Backpad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get plastic washers and a sleeve if you still want to use stainless steel bolts and nuts with the aluminum backplate. You should have no issues with carbon fiber as it's a non-ferrous stable compound and will not react with Stainless Steel.
thanks, regretfully I didn't do Physics or Chemistry at school.

I'm just concerned because yahoo seems imply otherwise.

carbon fiber galvanic reaction - Yahoo Search Results

1657648533848.png

I zip tied my pad to my aluminum Back plate.... Turn the attachment point to the actual hole so when you use the backplate everything will be flush with the back. I learned after wearing out my first pad the use of the the "t-bolts" or "Sex Nuts" were to much of a hassle to screw back to together. All three of my plates have their backpads zip tied.

First, so what it is a bit if surface galvanic reaction. Unless it is deeper than the picture suggests just ignore it. There isn’t an aluminum bolt option and messing around with plastic washers just gives you something easier to break that isn’t really necessary. Second, throw away the back pad and never worry about it again. Those things are useless.

Toss the backpad?
Exactly - I have the Halcyon Adventurer Plus carbon fiber rig and there is ZERO need for a back pad. It would actually sort of negate the idea of it’s super light, close fit to the body setup!

I used a bit of PTFE sealing tape on the screw before assembly the BP. And then removed all the bolts, nuts, screws and washers when diving is finished.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom