Haigh Quarry / July 9th / TheTritons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Tritons are one of the oldest and largest dive clubs in the metropolitan Chicago area. We’re going to be doing a quarry dive on Saturday, July 9th at Haigh Quarry, south of Chicago near Kankakee and would like to invite anyone in the neighborhood join us for a dive or two or just to stop by and introduce yourself. We’re going to go on a few dives, practice some skills, try out some new gear, swap some tall tales and eat a few burgers.

Founded in 1957, The Tritons currently have over 100 members and dive regularly here in Chicago, throughout the Great Lakes and on more exotic trips. Our members run the gamut from brand-new freshly certified divers to instructors to advanced technical divers. Though we are a teaching club, we aren’t affiliated with any of the local dive shops and hope to provide our members with not just a fun place to learn but a fun group to dive with.

If you’d like more information about our day at the quarry or our group, visit our website at www.TheTritons.com or come see us at Haigh Quarry!

reefraff:
The Tritons are one of the oldest and largest dive clubs in the metropolitan Chicago area. We’re going to be doing a quarry dive on Saturday, July 9th at Haigh Quarry, south of Chicago near Kankakee and would like to invite anyone in the neighborhood join us for a dive or two or just to stop by and introduce yourself. We’re going to go on a few dives, practice some skills, try out some new gear, swap some tall tales and eat a few burgers.

Founded in 1957, The Tritons currently have over 100 members and dive regularly here in Chicago, throughout the Great Lakes and on more exotic trips. Our members run the gamut from brand-new freshly certified divers to instructors to advanced technical divers. Though we are a teaching club, we aren’t affiliated with any of the local dive shops and hope to provide our members with not just a fun place to learn but a fun group to dive with.

If you’d like more information about our day at the quarry or our group, visit our website at www.TheTritons.com or come see us at Haigh Quarry!

Hey Reef - -I just might come down and see you guys. What time are you planning on being there?

Hmm - no time is posted in the newsletter, so I'd assume 8-9am folks will start assembling. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'll be diving the Wisconsin all weekend long....

Laser:
Hey Reef - -I just might come down and see you guys. What time are you planning on being there?
Depends on Friday night, I guess. :) We're usually there and operational by 9am and folks usually stick around until after 3pm, so wander by pretty much whenever...

Now if I can just talk the wife into letting me come up for the day......

Would be fun to meet a bunch of fellow divers too!

Do we need to send a note to someone if we are going to come?

Jeff

No notice needed, just show up. If it will help, though, I'll write a note to your wife asking her to let you come and play... :wink:
AevnsGrandpa:
Now if I can just talk the wife into letting me come up for the day......

Would be fun to meet a bunch of fellow divers too!

Do we need to send a note to someone if we are going to come?

Jeff

Yes Steven,

It might be that hard for me to get out of the house Saturday. We are hosting my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary suprise party on Sunday and the wife will be cooking and wanting me to make the home look like museum!

Jeff

I was there and did about an hour dive early. All I saw is what looked like classes and a couple strays. Maybe you were in the water, but I left around 11:15. Nice day.

Laser:
I was there and did about an hour dive early. All I saw is what looked like classes and a couple strays. Maybe you were in the water, but I left around 11:15. Nice day.
"A couple of strays" might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about this bunch. :)

Sorry we missed you, it sounds like you were going as we were coming. There were a few of us there early but most of the group comes from north suburban Chicago and take advantage of the clock-free atmosphere of the quarry to get a late start. We ended up with about 20 divers and a couple of camp-followers, and got to meet a few folks that stopped by to introduce themselves.

It was a nice day at the quarry. The weather was perfect, the vis was good (especially for a weekend), the water was warm and I survived my first dive in doubles since I had my knee surgery. Heck, I was able to keep my socks away from the furry mooch-machines, too!

The group won't be back at Haigh until September 11th, but anyone interested is welcome to join us at our next monthly meeting on July 26th in Des Plaines. We usually have 30 or so of the members show up for a short business session and a longer chat-fest, it's free to all (and ocassionally for all), details are here .

Was not able to get away this Saturday, but will be up at Haigh next Saturday. Hope the weather will be as good and the vis as good as they state on their web site.

Maybe see you all there another time!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom