Haigh is open!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those that have been waiting, Haigh Quarry is open! Nearly all the ice is gone now, except for a small section along the deep end, but it is disappearing fast. I did two dives today, water was about 41 degrees. Viz was "ok" but I expected better. I think it could be that the recent ice melt may have made things a little milky.

Whereas Chicago got clobbered with snow again, Kankakee barely got a dusting. Later, the sun came out, and it was almost like being in the tropics, except the air temp was in the low 40's

Dean, You paint such a pretty picture.
41 degs. , was that at the surface , and is it warmer down below 30 ft ?
As much as I want to go diving here , I wait a few weeks more till the water temps get to 50 degs.
See you there in the late spring, I might even bring out the grill ,dogs and polish again.
Jim breslin

Oh come on Jim get tough we can prime your suit with some warm water I can bring a heater and we can put it in by the fire place what do you say next weekend.

Whereas Chicago got clobbered with snow again, Kankakee barely got a dusting. Later, the sun came out, and it was almost like being in the tropics, except the air temp was in the low 40's

dscf0942.jpg

I took this picture of my backyard pool in Des Plaines (right near Ohare Airport) yesterday, the first full day of spring and three days before Easter.

Dale ,
As much fun as it sounds, I'll pass.
I will be in Sunny Florida in west Palm Beach diving on Sandy's Sunday.

But when I get back I'll be ready to dive the haigh.

See you guys in a few weeks,
Jim

yes Dean I will be there to hey what were the temps at 30' and how deep did you go.

Last weekend, it didn't make much difference what depth you were at. I don't think the temp varied more than 2 degrees. Certainly no reverse thermalcline, if that is what you where thinking.

Maybe I will see Jim in Florida next weekend. I'll be at Boynton beach.

Has anybody talked to the Haigh Quarry staff this week? Tried to call several times this afternoon to confirm the open water reports before making the trip down this weekend, but all I got was a busy signal.

Back
Top Bottom