Had PFO closed in India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinglinglegs

Reaction score
Hi everyone -
Just back form India where they closed PFO for 7K - (included everything except air) My quote was 25k here in US. Was pretty scary because I went by myself as my brother backed out at last minute. Everything had already been planned - I won't be talking to him again...So far so good - I'll have a follow-up in 3 mos here (echo and bubble). Can't wait to dive again - I'll probably go in Jan. and in meantime get nitrox certified. If you have questions about PFO India I'd be happy to give you details. On another completely different topic...anyone out there get 'instructor' to then go on to teach high school kids? I'm a therapist who works with adolescents and thought it would be GREAT to tun kids onto diving...Thanks,
Allison

could you explain "pfo india"?
thanx

He means he went to India for surgery to correct a Patent Foramen Ovale. It is congenital heart defect.

A partial explanation is pasted below from the following URL:

HealthCentersOnline: Heart Disease, Allergies & Asthma, Diabetes, Cancer and more!

A patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a relatively common and often asymptomatic heart defect that is present at birth (congenital). During fetal development, the heart’s two upper chambers (atria) are connected by a hole through the wall of muscle that separates them (septum). This hole, along with a blood vessel connecting the pulmonary artery (artery going to the lungs) and the aorta (the main artery going to the body), must be present in the fetus in order to detour blood away from the lungs. Without these two connections the fetus would not survive and a miscarriage often occurs. This hole is called the foramen ovale, and it normally closes shortly after birth. When it remains open after birth, it is said to be “patent,” which is another away of saying “open.”

I think he knows what a PFO is, he wants to know about "PFO India":

"If you have questions about PFO India I'd be happy to give you details."

Sorry for the confusion, First of all I'm a she. I should say I had my PFO closed in India. I left the US to have the procedure done there to save money. I got bent 3 times and the most likely explanation is that I had a large PFO. It is now closed. If you want the whole story, go to 'ask Dr. decompression' forum, and it will all become clear.
Allison

I trust that you will get the result you hoped for. Many people, I hear, do travel for surgical procedures.

PFO in India is probably one of the most scary thread titles I have seen in a while. But I am glad that things went well for you there, very sorry that you were left alone! Your posting has made me wonder if my utter fear of heart surgery in India might just be American ignorance? I would say 18,000 isnt worth your life, but maybe it isnt all that bad in India and I am just being a jerk.

PFO in India is probably one of the most scary thread titles I have seen in a while. But I am glad that things went well for you there, very sorry that you were left alone! Your posting has made me wonder if my utter fear of heart surgery in India might just be American ignorance? I would say 18,000 isnt worth your life, but maybe it isnt all that bad in India and I am just being a jerk.

There are some patients willing to have advanced procedures in India and even the Philippines. Special hospitals, convalescent homes, nursing homes, etc., are being built to cater specifically to affluent foreign patients. India in general, has generous low cost skilled labor and high intellectual resources: they do have Nobel laureates, nuclear weapons and a space program.

Are they better than western hospitals and cheaper because they do not have the overhead of legal and regulatory burdens as US hospitals? Its unknown, so caveat emptor.

My only concern is the PFO closure rationale:

Primary Care Diving Medicine: More on the Risk Benefit of PFO Testing

Nicely written piece and definitely food for thought.

Thanks,

Doc

My pleasure, DV. In 1998, Fred Bove, MD from Temple University in Philadelphia published a meta-analysis on the risk of PFO and diving; my analysis is similar to his but far less statistically rigorous. I've also added items such as PFO changing with age, as listed on the blog.

There are a good number of divers still opting for PFO testing without prior issues, and some opting for repair. I wrote that blog to put together as many of the issues regarding PFO and diving in one site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom