Had my first accident/near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrasmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well near the end of my dive this weekend i was playing around the shallows 15 feet ,after completed my safety stop. Well I was pretty much just rolling around doing some odd stuff getting better aquanted with the 120 on my back and nicked the reef. Minor brush no big deal nothing to be alarmed about right , well actually I rolled my valve off when that happened. So about 30 seconds later i found out what it feels like to run out of air. My buddy was about 8 feet away head down looking for shells at the time, easily could have got to him, i knew my safety stop was already complete so i just cruised to the surface.

What did i learn , well , watch that tank valve first of all. Next the Air 2 is a pain in the behind to use when manuelly inflating my BC. Last its fairly easy to turn the valve back on, i just didnt even try under water cause i knew i would be perfectly fine to surface.

This made an interesting end to my dive , and i definatly know i dont want to run out of air again , especially at depth. I had about 3 to 5 seconds of pure panic when it happened before it came to me that i could easily get to my buddy or the surface.

terrasmak:
Minor brush no big deal nothing to be alarmed about right , well actually I rolled my valve off when that happened. So about 30 seconds later i found out what it feels like to run out of air.

Minor brush? Turned the whole rig off?

I don't think so.

If it was way low on pressure, if you hadn't turned it on to begin with but 1/2 turn at the start of your dive, I could see this happening... on a bad day.

Otherwise, with the tank open (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey) the standard 29.9 turns... this aint gonna happen.

But maybe somebody :fork: will suggest you buy a pony tank :)

Glad it worked out.

A - You need to not bump the reef, kills coral;

B - That is not what caused you air problem, as it takes a lot more than that to turn off a tank that is opened correctly.

More to learn here, can you give more information...?

RoatanMan:
But maybe somebody :fork: will suggest you buy a pony tank :)
or they may suggest learning how to manipulate your valves.

RoatanMan:
Minor brush? Turned the whole rig off?
Plus a single tank should roll "on" not off.

Probably ran out of gas.

I'm just glad you're okay and this didn't happen at 120+ fsw...

At least you learned the Air2 is a dangerous piece of gear to have on your rig.

JeffG:
Plus a single tank should roll "on" not off.

Probably ran out of gas.
Actually the valve was closed tight , when turned back on i had 2000PSI . And BTW if you think about it a single tank can and will roll off depending on the direction you are moving . Pony bottle , yup , i bought one that morning . I just havnt recieved my straps for it and extra second stage.

terrasmak:
Actually the valve was closed tight , when turned back on i had 2000PSI . And BTW if you think about it a single tank can and will roll off depending on the direction you are moving . Pony bottle , yup , i bought on that morning . I just havnt recieved my straps for it and extra second stage.
So...now your upside down and going backwards...okey dokey then

terrasmak:
Actually the valve was closed tight , when turned back on i had 2000PSI . And BTW if you think about it a single tank can and will roll off depending on the direction you are moving . Pony bottle , yup , i bought on that morning . I just havnt recieved my straps for it and extra second stage.
I could be wrong, but you must not have had the tank open all the way. I just don't think you could accidentally turn a tank all the way off from the fully open position. I have seen mistakes made with tank being 1/2 turn open rather than 1/2 turn closed after fully opening, which is why that teaching is being changed. In those cases, the regs stopped prematurely, altho there was more than 2000# in the tanks.

And be careful of that pony. Mine has helped me a few times, but also nearly killed me a couple of times.

Oh, I love my MK25 Scubpro reg, but if I had an Air2, I'd replace it with a regular Octo - which I carry in addition to my pony.

Back
Top Bottom