H valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
did a search and didn't see too many threads regarding H-valves.

I'm just wondering how many folks out there are using these valves?

I currently have a single tank rig and like the idea of H valve redundancy. if one of my first stage regs was to freeze and/or free flow, i would have a backup. i guess the question is, is it overkill if i'm not diving in an overhead environment or wreck penetration/ technical diving?

i plan to move to doubles next year, but in the meantime, i'm not crazy about adding pony bottle to my rig. i like the idea of a reliable buddy AND redundant regs. any opinions would be helpful.

ChickenBone:

I currently have a single tank rig and like the idea of H valve redundancy. if one of my first stage regs was to freeze and/or free flow, i would have a backup. i guess the question is, is it overkill if i'm not diving in an overhead environment or wreck penetration/ technical diving?

i plan to move to doubles next year, but in the meantime, i'm not crazy about adding pony bottle to my rig. i like the idea of a reliable buddy AND redundant regs. any opinions would be helpful.

I would suggest skipping the H-valve and going with a small pony.

H-valves only assist if a failure of the primary first stage happens. A low pressure failure or free flow reg can empty your aluminum 80 in less than 60 seconds.

A pony will provide ample gas to make a proper ascent and also be complete redundant system.

I acquired one (Dive Rite 300 bar) this weekend...main advantage for me is not having to swap out hoses to go from single tank to doubles.

The valve knobs on this particular unit are really stiff...doing a shut down wouldn't be lightning fast.

cyklon_300:
I acquired one (Dive Rite 300 bar) this weekend...main advantage for me is not having to swap out hoses to go from single tank to doubles.

The valve knobs on this particular unit are really stiff...doing a shut down wouldn't be lightning fast.

Hey Cyklon,
You should mention this to the LSD that sold them to you... If they are a little stiff with no pressure, then they'll be ugly when the pressure is added. Most of the times the factory doesn't put enough lub on the o-rings. It'll take them 5min to rectify this. They should spin VERY smoothly with no pressure.

ChickenBone:

If you go for the H-valve just remember that it's only as good as the person performing the shut down.
Doubles are a lot easier IMHO to do a shutdown on as the valves are over your shoulders and not at the base of your skull. This from experience. The isolator isn't bad as it sticks up at the angle that you set it at. Mines tilted at the 11o'clock towards my head.

All of my diving falls into three catagories. (1) Deep long duration dives where I use my doubles, deco tanks...yada yada yada. (2) The basic tourist dive showing folks around the shallow reef, wrecks or teaching class where I wear a jacket bc and a compact 80. (3) The dives in between where my doubles would be too much but I want more than my 80. I carry a BFT (big &#%@ tank) with a H-Valve. I use my doubles regs and usually carry one deco gas. The important thing is to be able to isolate a malfunction quickly and end the dive. Remember, what buys time to deal with emergencies is air supply. Know your sac rate and never never violate the rule of thirds.

"i guess the question is, is it overkill if i'm not diving in an overhead environment or wreck penetration/ technical diving?"

Yes.

You can use the H-valve with only one reg; I do so often when doing shallow warm water dives. Some will probably say this is bad because a bump of the second valve knob would empty your gas supply fast!

The H-valve is overkill, but as has already been said, it makes it easier to go from doubles to singles without owning another complete reg or reconfiguring your hoses. It also makes hose routing a little easier when diving dry.

theskull

ChickenBone:
Is it overkill if i'm not diving in an overhead environment or wreck penetration/ technical diving?

In a word: "No!" Given the reliablility of regulators, it might be a bit more than is necessary, especially with a clear shot to the surface on a shallow dive. Should the need arise however, it is certainly better than just a simple octo. Even more than that, if you combine it with a larger tank, it is an elegant solution.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom