h-valve with double hose regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veggiedog

Reaction score
I posted this on vintagedoublehose too.

I have arrived on a solution for my double hose system that I am quite excited about: I am switching out the j-valve on my steel 72 for an h-valve so that I can have a redundant regulator system to drive all of my modern gadgets (BC, backup regulator, SPG, you know, ultra-modern stuff) while diving with my mistral double hose. I will be using my bp/w setup and all of its geeky attachments (redundant stuff).

I already have an h-valve on an aluminum 80, and the modern regulator looks great (in a geeky-tech kinda way) next to the double hose. I had originally looked into a y-valve for my steel 72 (they look more "vintage" to me) but the spacing was too close for a modern regulator plus the double hose. Besides, the h-valve keeps the mistral centered and properly de-emphasizes the backup (modern, lower and off to the side of the mistral) system in a visual way.

I can already think of cool implications: being able to turn off the air to the mistral so that I can swim on my back on the surface, turning off the air to the mistral if I need to switch to the backup regulator (double hose freeflow is difficult to control with the mouthpiece out of your mouth).

Mostly just excited about having the choice to use my "modern" amenities. I'll provide photos of my first outing after the valve arrives.

P.S. I was first hooked on SCUBA watching Sea Hunt as a kid.

That is exactly what I did for my Aquamaster...
The H-Valve that I used makes for a VERY tight fit to get the older yoke over it, but I can do it. You also need to look carefully at how you set up the valve in order to be able to fit both the two hoser and the new reg on at the same time. Hose routing is a bit ugly, but having the SPG, computer and drysuit hose sure make diving the older reg more fun (and safe)

veggiedog:
I posted this on vintagedoublehose too.

I have arrived on a solution for my double hose system that I am quite excited about: I am switching out the j-valve on my steel 72 for an h-valve so that I can have a redundant regulator system to drive all of my modern gadgets (BC, backup regulator, SPG, you know, ultra-modern stuff) while diving with my mistral double hose. I will be using my bp/w setup and all of its geeky attachments (redundant stuff).

I already have an h-valve on an aluminum 80, and the modern regulator looks great (in a geeky-tech kinda way) next to the double hose. I had originally looked into a y-valve for my steel 72 (they look more "vintage" to me) but the spacing was too close for a modern regulator plus the double hose. Besides, the h-valve keeps the mistral centered and properly de-emphasizes the backup (modern, lower and off to the side of the mistral) system in a visual way.

I can already think of cool implications: being able to turn off the air to the mistral so that I can swim on my back on the surface, turning off the air to the mistral if I need to switch to the backup regulator (double hose freeflow is difficult to control with the mouthpiece out of your mouth).

Mostly just excited about having the choice to use my "modern" amenities. I'll provide photos of my first outing after the valve arrives.

P.S. I was first hooked on SCUBA watching Sea Hunt as a kid.

veggiedog:
I have arrived on a solution for my double hose system that I am quite excited about:

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

The only real problem you are solving is letting you dive off a boat that requires a power inflated BC, spg and octo.

All of which take away from the true vintage experience (although I still find myself guilty of using an spg instead of trusting in the J valve).

The double hose is just part of the experience. Diving without a BC, octo or spg is when you get an appreciation for the simplistic steamlined style of vintage diving. Leave all that clutter behind and have some fun.

FYI: I also bought an H Valve for the aforementioned reasons, but I decided against using it on my vintage gear once I got comfortable diving it the old school way. I plan on putting on my E8130 for redundancy on my deep cold dives in the Great Lakes.

Note: One of my J valves has a high pressure port built into it, for the times I want to use an spg.

Walter:
I either dive modern or vintage, but not a mix, there's no point.

I agree.

When you dive vintage in Florida does that mean no wetsuit and no weight?

I dive a 1/4" sharkskin suit with 4lbs of lead in 50F degree fresh water.

I would love to just put on a swim suit and my EZ Kam pak and jump in the water.

Walter:
What is the problem you are trying to solve?
My desire is to combine the safety of a redundant system with the experience of a vintage regulator (not necessarily a vintage dive (although I am exploring that as well)). I intend on taking the double hose deep (~120') in order to experience deep diving with an old style regulator while minimizing the risk.

In case any of you don't realize it, it is a pleasurable experience just to breath off a double hose regulator underwater: you don't have to go all out (vintage) just for that pleasure. The experience is further emphasized if you "get off" on mechanical things.

P.S. I'm not vintage, DIR, or associated with any group other than solo divers, and thats just by virtue of being a solo diver, not through association with other solo divers.

At Wazee, a number of vintage divers went to close to 200 feet on double hose regs. I cannot exactly recall at the moment but I think the deepest I have been recently with a double hose is about 110 with my Mistral, 130 on my Royal Aqua-Master and over a 100 on my DA Aqua-Master. In the 130 foot dive I was backed up on my Double 50s with a MR12 single hose. I used a redundant regulator because I was diving into an area known for being dark at depth. Later, the next day, I was going for a similar dive when I turned on the air and the first stage diaphram failed on the newly refurbished MR12. I cannot recall a double hose failing on me in any way but I realize certain failures are possible. My main double hose experiance until recently was my old reliable Mistral. Redundancy is probably wise regardless if solo and deep. In my case I am both vintage and solo and as a result I try to use gear that is period correct. I have found few regulators that can match a good MR12 so why buy plastic modern junk? Besides, I have modern gear and the means to buy most anything I want within reason, what I want is vintage, it is how I learned to dive and is a superior form of diving in many respects and a lot of fun to pursue. N

ClevelandDiver:
I agree.

When you dive vintage in Florida does that mean no wetsuit and no weight?

Usually.

I also have one tank set up with an H valve, because sometimes I dive places that insist on an SPG or Octopus.

My back up is an Aquarius, so I'm still semi vintage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom