Gulf of Oman trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Squirt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Last week I did 5 dives in the Gulf of Oman. I can't rate this compared to the Red Sea as I've never been there, but if solitude and relaxed diving is what you're after then Oman could be an alternative.

Although it is the height of summer now, with air temps soaring to 42C/ 104F++, there was an upwelling bringing the water temp down to a chilly 21C/ 65F. Also our trip coincided with the full moon and coral spawning, so it was love on the reef. The coral spawn did bring the viz down a bit for the first few metres, and combined with the thermoclines, all dives were mixed from 1m-20m viz...

The waters were teeming with life at some sites we literally had to shoulder our way through massive schools of fusiliers and triggerfish- turtles everywhere you looked, oodles of morays (honeycomb, giant, yellow mouths, grey, yellow margins, snowflake, and the Oman moray), a zillion boxfish and butterflyfish, even a few juvenile emperor angelfish. The first two days I was in Oman, people were out watching 2 schools of dolphin and a pod of whales just off the beach. The coral is healthy and abundant. There are several dive operators, but at each site we went to, we were the only divers there.

All the dives were easy and extremely enjoyable. maximum depth was 30m where we went, although they can go deeper. There are several wrecks around, although we didn't dive them.

The Sultan takes a keen interest in the marine environment (even commissioned a book by John E Randall, "Coastal Fishes of Oman").

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know there's more out there than Sharm, and a lot less divers!

Glad you liked it Sea squirt, there really is some very nice diving here in Oman and as you said it’s relatively quiet not what some would call over dived yet but I fear that this wont last long, construction of more hotels along the cost near Oman dive centre will probably mean a lot more divers visiting. Your right bout the Sultan has taken a positive stance when it comes to protecting the marine environment, which is good for all I would say. He is also a very benevolent and tolerant ruler who is very keen to open up his country to tourism. Anyway Sea squirt, if you decide to come again feel free to drop me a line.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom