DIR- Generic Guidance on Scubapro second stage for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warm or cold water? I’d get a pair of MK19/G260 or MK19/S600. Yes, always DIN.

they do not make stainless steel first stages, the only one I am familiar with is the Atomic ST1.

DIN highly recommended.

What reg set do you have now and why did you settle on Scubapro? The only one I'd buy/recommend is the MK19/G260 combo, though these days I wouldn't recommend Scubapro in the first place.

I dive in Monterey, CA.

No way I would look at anything other than sealed diaphragms for diving there though and while Scubapro has the MK19 again, it's not a brand that I would be looking at unless you work for a dive shop that is a Scubapro dealer. Way better options out there

they do not make stainless steel first stages, the only one I am familiar with is the Atomic ST1.

DIN highly recommended.

What reg set do you have now and why did you settle on Scubapro? The only one I'd buy/recommend is the MK19/G260 combo, though these days I wouldn't recommend Scubapro in the first place.

My mistake. The Mk25 I'm looking at is chrome-plated brass. I thought it was stainless steel. In any event, it's not the titanium Mk25.

Why did I settle on Scubapro? Probably my understanding that they're easy to get serviced when traveling. I'm also under the impression that they make regulators for other companies who then sell them under their own brand.

I plan to take GUE Fundies this spring or summer, but before that I'll get a new regulator. I'm pretty sure I'll get a Scubapro Mk25 in stainless steel. Any recommendations on what second stage to get?

Also, I should get DIN and not yoke, right?

For GUE, as long as your current regs aren't upstream, and they're environmentally sealed and suitable for your cold water, they'll be fine.

If you don't already have a long hose setup, you would just need to change the hoses to between 5 - 7 feet for the primary (7' preferred), and commonly around 22" for the backup.

You can make or buy the bungie necklace for the backup or your instructor can easily make it for you (even on the first day when you will all go over everyone's equipment and make any necessary adjustments).

It's a good idea to chat with your instructor and they'll let you know if your current regs will be suitable. They often lean toward Apeks and definitely DIN, but any downstream, environmentally sealed reg should meet the standards.

Have fun in your course! :)

My mistake. The Mk25 I'm looking at is chrome-plated brass. I thought it was stainless steel. In any event, it's not the titanium Mk25.

Why did I settle on Scubapro? Probably my understanding that they're easy to get serviced when traveling. I'm also under the impression that they make regulators for other companies who then sell them under their own brand.

I firmly disagree with getting regs serviced when travelling and is a tirade I have gone on many times. You don't get regs serviced when travelling, you bring spare regs. If you need them to be serviced, you lose the rest of the day diving, likely the next day of diving, and you are going to pay an arm and a leg for rush service that you may or may not be able to trust. Bring a spare, it will pay for itself the first time it is used.
Scubapro stencils for Halcyon but that is the only one that I am aware of.

A Mk25/G260 is $900. A Deep6 Signature doubles set is $1k. Buy the doubles set and a stage/deco reg and you'll be in for less than a Scubapro single tank set and that sorts your backup regulator problem out.

What reg set do you have now and why did you settle on Scubapro?

My last one was a Dacor, because that was all I could afford when I was younger. Sold it. I always wanted Scubapro, but couldn't afford it at the time. Now I can though.

It was the cheapest reg I could find. I don't know the model, but it really didn't breathe well below 60 ft.

A Deep6 Signature doubles set is $1k. Buy the doubles set and a stage/deco reg and you'll be in for less than a Scubapro single tank set and that sorts your backup regulator problem out.

I have to admit, I hadn't heard of Deep6 since they don't appear to have any dealers in California. Thanks for the recommendation. Looks really good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom