DIR- Generic GUE possible with Y crotch strap with 6 D-Rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Folks,
So the GUE Standards guide says this :

1. The continuous webbing must support five D-rings;
    1. The first placed at the left hip
    2. The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
    3. The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
    4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
But I got an Xdeep Zen standard with a Y crotch-strap - this means it has 2 D-rings at the back on each side which makes 4+2=6 D-Rings.

Q1. Can I use this BP/W if I were to take a Fundies class? There is no slot in the BP for a single centre crotch strap.
Q2. I have no training or experience with DPVs so - How is the rear D-Ring used with a DPV and when diving with a Zen+DPV how would one deal with the 2 instead of one central D-Ring?

Thanks for your inputs on this.

Hey Folks,

4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
But I got an Xdeep Zen standard with a Y crotch-strap - this means it has 2 D-rings at the back on each side which makes 4+2=6 D-Rings.

Q1. Can I use this BP/W if I were to take a Fundies class? There is no slot in the BP for a single centre crotch strap.
Q2. I have no training or experience with DPVs so - How is the rear D-Ring used with a DPV and when diving with a Zen+DPV how would one deal with the 2 instead of one central D-Ring?

I'm sure you can do it any way you want, but then it wouldn't be DIR, would it. Probably earn you a recreational pass or technical provisional if everything else was perfect.

Michael

Hey Folks,

If you have a serious desire to progress down the GUE Cul- er...pathway, I'd suggest just going ahead and buying a Halcyon BP/w. GUE has a deep methodology surrounding standardization. Each of the 5 D rings in the DIR philosophy has a specific use, and the Zen D-rings will not be located in the specific positions where you will need them. Namely the left hip D-ring for items such as your SPG, Leash, Deco bottles rear clip.

As far as the crotch strap D-ring for your DPV goes, If I remember correctly, you can add a 7th D-ring on the front of the crotch strap where the tri-glide is located. You wouldn't attach your scooter to a rear D-ring.

Two d rings on the rear of the crotch strap aren’t really ideal.

1 you can’t tow a DPV as it won’t be centered. You *can* tow from the front crotch strap d ring but its not great.

2 towing a diver kind of necessitates holding onto a centerline crotch strap. I’m sure you *could* do it with a split one but it’s likely less than ideal.

3 clipped off trinkets like reels need to be in the center.

4 I would hypothesize that off center d rings would interfere with leashed stages.

As for the class, that’s really up to the instructor. I’d say it’s probably fine for class (just a guess) but not ideal for the reasons listed above.

I’m lookin at pics of that Zen backplate.

Plastic buckles on some models are of course a no-go in my opinion.

As for the rest of it…. Why? Looks like a poor attempt at a better mousetrap. They missed the mark with needless complication and weird nonstandard routing of webbing. Different just to be different.

As for the rest of it…. Why? Looks like a poor attempt at a better mousetrap. They missed the mark with needless complication and weird nonstandard routing of webbing. Different just to be different.
You should really try one before you bash it. The split crotch strap is actually pretty comfortable and supportive when scootering, and the offset D rings are great for people with mobility problems.

The plastics and buckles are only in the Deluxe harness which can be swapped out. I have a standard harness exactly like in the attached pic.
91D78C42-09DE-4DD2-B4BE-44C85B50061B.jpeg

Two d rings on the rear of the crotch strap aren’t really ideal.

1 you can’t tow a DPV as it won’t be centered. You *can* tow from the front crotch strap d ring but its not great.

2 towing a diver kind of necessitates holding onto a centerline crotch strap. I’m sure you *could* do it with a split one but it’s likely less than ideal.

3 clipped off trinkets like reels need to be in the center.

4 I would hypothesize that off center d rings would interfere with leashed stages.

As for the class, that’s really up to the instructor. I’d say it’s probably fine for class (just a guess) but not ideal for the reasons listed above.
In another SB thread people here seem to be leaning for the Y crotch strap. Here: Crotch Strap Alternatives
Q: Would clipping off the SMB on the right buckle violate DIR philosophy? (Time for me to dig into DIR philosophy I guess).
I’m hoping the instructor will allow it. Let me just ask an instructor directly today!

If you have a serious desire to progress down the GUE Cul- er...pathway, I'd suggest just going ahead and buying a Halcyon BP/w. GUE has a deep methodology surrounding standardization. Each of the 5 D rings in the DIR philosophy has a specific use, and the Zen D-rings will not be located in the specific positions where you will need them. Namely the left hip D-ring for items such as your SPG, Leash, Deco bottles rear clip.

As far as the crotch strap D-ring for your DPV goes, If I remember correctly, you can add a 7th D-ring on the front of the crotch strap where the tri-glide is located. You wouldn't attach your scooter to a rear D-ring.
Yeah but I only want the training not the cert. I also intend to buy the doubles wing to use with the same BP before starting on the TDI cert path journey. Not really considering discarding this just to conform to GUE rules.

That said a minor correction to your post - the 4th D-Ring is the one in the front of the crotch strap. I just need to find out if GUE will accept 5&6 D-Ring a little off centre as you see in the pic.
The 3rd D-Ring for SPG is exactly where it should be on the left side but attached to an accessory bolt-on weight pocket on the waist belt.

I'm sure you can do it any way you want, but then it wouldn't be DIR, would it. Probably earn you a recreational pass or technical provisional if everything else was perfect.

Michael
I think in order to appear for GUE Fundies at the Tech level I will need a full pass at the Rec level correct? Or can I get a provisional pass in Rec and still do Tech?

Actually I plan to first do only Rec Fundies and a doubles primer this year before attempting Tech Fundies early next year. I intend to purchase a doubles wing after completing the doubles primer and then do some dozen or so recreational diving with doubles.

But hey let me just ping an instructor first today!

Thanks for your inputs all.

I think in order to appear for GUE Fundies at the Tech level I will need a full pass at the Rec level correct? Or can I get a provisional pass in Rec and still do Tech?

There is no such thing as a provisional Rec or a provisional Tech outcome. You can either fail, get a provisional or pass. The latter with either a Rec or Tech rating.

If you get a provisional you have 6 months to try to pass. Should you pass with a Rec rating you can try to upgrade to Tech anytime you feel ready for it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom