GUE instructor loyalty, version 2

Same GUE instructor after the first round? Or not?

• I’ve taken my post-DIR-F GUE courses (or additional Fundies) from the same instructor – I am hap

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • My DIR-F instructor didn’t offer the continuing education I wanted - I would have stayed if s/he d

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I’ve taken my post-DIR-F courses from the same instructor but only because of necessity (eg locat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I changed instructor after DIR-F but not because of the instructor (eg location, team, courses etc)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I changed instructor after DIR-F, not because of dissatisfaction - just wanted something different

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I continued with different instructor after DIR-F because I would not have wanted to go back

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I have only taken my first DIR-F but would prefer to go back to the same instructor if just possible

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I’ve only taken my first DIR-F but would rather/surely go to another instructor next time

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Prompted by the discussion in the DIR-F vs NAUI Intro thread, I’d be curious in hearing how satisfied and loyal people are when it comes to their GUE instructors. It was brought up that there could be quite a lot of differences (more than just personal style) now that the instructor base is wider on Fundies level. With all the new things happening in regards to the DIR-F course one can wonder if there will be more differences between instructors at least during this transition period too.

This poll is directed mainly to people who have taken DIR-F more than once or have continued after it. I realize many DIR-F instructors are qualified to teach on the higher levels too but hey, who takes these polls too seriously. Anyhow, it is of interest to me that how many of you decided the original instructor was someone to stick with, and was it just because of convenience – and then again how many have made a conscious decision to seek someone else primarily because of the instructor.

I tried to slam quite a few options there but I bet the best ones are missing, and nobody has the strength to read through these, so lets see what happens. You do not need to identify yourself, so this does not need to go personal.

Yeah, this one is much better. Maybe it would be easier just to ask for dissatisified students of GUE courses?

The poll has my vote

piikki:
You get my vote if you read through it!
It doesn't have the section...Took DIR-f but my instructor was punted :wink:

dherbman:
Yeah, this one is much better. Maybe it would be easier just to ask for dissatisified students of GUE courses?

I didn't think that it would be quite nice. PM's are welcome if info is above cursing. I have been amazed how many people say everybody is just absolutely great. It makes you wonder in today's world :wink:

Well, I don't fit into the category of anybody who has taken DIR-F more than once, or gone on, but I will say that I was very pleased with Steve White, who was my Fundies instructor. I thought the course was well done, and I really liked Steve's ability to help underwater -- a lot of the time, it seems one learns things by going down and trying them, and then having to surface and discuss; Steve was able to do a lot of effective correction DURING the dive itself.

In addition, I have been blown away by the time and effort Steve continues to put into his students after the class is over.

Had he failed me, I would have taken Fundies from him again. If I get as far as RecTriox, I will be delighted to take it from Steve, who is planning on being rated to teach that by the time I get there.

I didn't vote because none of the choices really accurately captures how I feel about this.

I took DIR-F with Michael Kane and Brandon Schwartz and would highly recommend them to anyone. I've got a provisional and look forward to working with these instructors again when the time comes.

However, I would have no problem with taking a class from any of the other GUE instructors out there. I've heard wonderful things about so many of them that I don't believe that I could go wrong with any of them.

Most likely, some of the classes I take down the road will be with other instructors.

For instance, when it comes time for cave classes, I'm probably going to go to Florida and take them. I understand that the caves in Florida are higher flow and more challenging than those in Mexico and that it's best to learn in a more challenging environment. Otherwise, I'd love to take classes with the GUE instructors in Mexico.

When it comes to tech classes, I'll have to see who is teaching those classes in my area or if I have to travel.

I'm thinking of taking Rec Triox along the way and will probably take that with MHK when I'm ready.

This is all subject to change as I learn more. At this point, I'd be putting the cart before the horse to think too far down the line in great detail. I've got enough to work on at my current level and have no intention of trying to move on until I'm very confident with my skills at the basic level. When people don't feel like they need to hide their dogs (or livestock of your choice) after seeing me attempt some propulsion techniques, then I can start to think more seriously about going to the next level. :11:

I'm more interested in the journey than the destination, although I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy reaching my destinations.

I hope I didn't stray to much from what you are looking for and hope I dealt with the topic that you were looking to get answers on.

Christian

Took Fundies (once) with Gideon Liew in Singapore/Malaysia. Gideon is a great guy and in fact encourages his students to seek out other GUE instructors even though Gideon himself is qualified to teach up to Tech 2 level. Otoh, I simply cannot afford to travel to the Philippines or Australia/New Zealand, let alone the US, so will be taking Tech 1 in Krabi, Thailand (i. e. as close to home as possible), with Gideon. So yes, I could vote that "[I will take] my post-DIR-F courses from the same instructor but only because of necessity (eg locat)" - but I am in fact extremely happy that Gideon will be my instructor again. The guy always have time for his students and have always taken care to answer my usually pretty stupid questions (whether via e-mail or personally).

If I ever have the opportunity, I would love to travel to the US for Cave 1.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom