GUE Documentation Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great write up, definitely a course I would like to take....I'm guessing Koos will be teaching the course next summer :)

Yes, Koos is signed off to teach it -- and I think he had as much fun as we did, so I suspect he'll be eager to get some groups together to do this. It's just a great experience for students and faculty alike.

Ted, I thought quite often about the Middle Reef mapping project while we were doing this -- what an ambitious and amazing endeavor that was!

Enjoyed reading your recap of the class. While this doesn't sound like anything I'd personally enjoy, it's good to see the number of continuing educational courses being dreamed up. I love training courses, training with new instructors and having someone give you a task that 'puts you in your place'. Challenges are good. Perhaps this is another good option for those who want to do something more but feel stifled by the lack of good opportunities to "go further" and default to either tech or professional training.

Yes -- I should make the point that, although all the divers in the video are in doubles, they are NOT required for the class. However, either GUE Rec 1 or a rec pass from Fundies IS required; this is not a basic diving skills class, but a place to learn how to use those skills to perform survey and documentation tasks.

I loved doing my mapping project while being a DMC. Even though we were diving in 5 foot vis or less, in our local lake, it was great fun. Hard, sometimes frustrating but lots of fun.

Thank you for the write up.
Now I have a better idea of the requirements as I might sign up for some GUE related activity.

Question: how useful would be to be able to time/depth stamp images taken during a project?

gallery_profile_1d.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hmm . . . I can imagine there might be circumstances where that would be VERY handy.

I see a video of this course (I assume based on the divers involved) has been posted to Vimeo

[video=vimeo;72875937]http://vimeo.com/72875937#at=0[/video]

Yes, that video was compiled from various footage shot by us during the class, and edited and posted by our classmate from Vancouver, who did a fantastic job with it! I am the diver with the yellow fins, BTW . . .

Very , very usefull that GUE Documetation Diver course ! Thanks for report !

I feel like a motley fool with the yellow wing, harness and fins, and the red dry suit!
I guess right :D

PS: Man divers have all things in black , because in that way wife don't know or better see anything new on beach before enterance in water :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom