Gue DIR-F vs Naui intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrasmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the differences between the two . Are the two interchangable can i take class thru either Naui or Gue once i take one or the other class. Does either cert. me to new levels or are they just stepping stones for the classes to come.

Well, I don't know about the differences, but in at least one thing, they are not interchangeable. If you want to take any further training with GUE, you have to take Fundies. As far as I know, GUE doesn't recognize anybody else's classes.

TSandM:
As far as I know, GUE doesn't recognize anybody else's classes.
And as far as I know no-one else recognises GUE's. :D (although I might be wrong)

I could be wrong, but I believe that Naui's Intro to tech is actually the same a GUE's fundies. This is what AG brought to Naui now that he is with them. So the course I believe is the same, but under a different cert agency. switching and continuing training could be an issue. You may want to choose wisely here based on your future plans. I believe that in the end the courses offered by both GUE and Naui tec will be the same....(at least that would make sense now that naui has AG on board)

Meng_Tze:
I believe that in the end the courses offered by both GUE and Naui tec will be the same....(at least that would make sense now that naui has AG on board)

This is going to be a difficult response to craft in the cyber culture that tends to oversensitize the written word, in lieu often times of the spirit with which the words were intended, but I'm going to give it a shot.

If anyone believes that an instructor from any agency [not specifically talking about NAUI] but if anyone thinks that if you take the GUE DIR-F program and simply start teaching it under a different agency umbrella and it will be the equivalent of the GUE class, I suspect they'll be in for a disappointing surprise.

While for certain AG's contribution to the DIR-F class is notable, what made the GUE DIR-F class take off was the total commitment of the instructor core to the underlying principles associated with the holostic nature of the system. That core commitment does not easily transcend from agency to agency, and while I have no doubt AG will teach an awesome NAUI version of the class, I'm not sure other instructor's that don't share the core commitment to the underlying values can do the class justice. I don't believe that you can simply copy the Power Point presentation and hand it off to a different agency and expect the same results. That point is even more important when you consider that traditionally most other agencies pioneered the personal preference, all-inclusive approach. I'm not sure how one goes from an "anything goes" mindset to a strict adherence to a holostic approach? In the absence of an answer to that fundamental question, any further discussion is moot.

Those are just my thoughts and I'm not trying to be inflamatory to either AG and/or NAUI, I'm speaking more from a more global picture.

Regards,

Meng_Tze:
You may want to choose wisely here based on your future plans. I believe that in the end the courses offered by both GUE and Naui tec will be the same
Thats is exactly why i posted this , now the kicker for me , the area im moving to has only TDI from what i have found (Las Vegas) but of course i could easily drive home to SoCal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom