Guam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennefer,

Are you going to rent a car? If you've made the decision to stay at Pia Resort there are a couple of ways to get around. One would be to use the shopping bus. Take it to the Micronesia mall and you can go to Payless Supermarket to buy your food. Nothing really in the Tumon area for supermarkets.

You can also take it to the Guam Premium Outlets. Next shopping center over is a huge food outlet named Cost U less but it's got bulk items. In the same shopping area is Tokyo Mart where you'll find a lot of imported Japanese goods maybe you can use to cook some Chinese with.

Now, here is where you'll run into a problem. Diving. If you can't drive to the dive shop to pick up your tank and weights and then drive to the boat, you'll be stuck. The dive shops will pick you up and take you back to your hotel if you're paying in full. Now, here is a little secret. Join whatever dive club they have and you'll get some free dives out of it and maybe they'll pick you up from your hotel for free. You just got to ask. I have no control and am only suggesting.

I know that in Pia Resort there is a Japanese dive shop and the General manager is a fluent English speaker. You can talk to him about diving with them but like I mentioned, it's a Japanese dive shop and I think two dives is like $90 and three dives is close to $150.

Most dive shops won't do three dives. GTDS does the two morning boat dives and then goes out on a 1:30ish boat for dolphin watching, banana boat riding and snorkelling. That time with the snorkellers is considered a third dive and you'll be lucky if you can get deeper than 10 meters. No dive guide usually. The last time I went on the Dolphin watching boat, there was only one diver. I had to stay with the snorkellers.

This type of trip will take ALL afternoon and is a waste of time unless you want to check out the dolphins too.

I'll let others jump in on this thread to see what else they can suggest.

Chris :D

Chris:

Thanks a lot for the information. I will for sure have a rental car, for which I have already made a reservation.

I do not want to waste my time for anything like dolphine watching or so. I only want to go diving, day and night. I enjoyed Guam so much.

Can you believe that one of our fellow divers who went to Cozumel a couple of months ago and we had very nice dives together in Cozumel, Catalina, etc.. drowned yesterday at noon at his 101st dive in Laguna Beach, California, USA? It's a very sad and shocking news to me and to everyone. I will participate in the memorial gathering over this weekend. It's why I do not want to dive in Californian cold water and/or on rough beaches. It's just too dangerous to go. Detailed news can be located at local@ocregister.com article title "101st diver drowned..." I am in a very shocking and sad mood.

Jessica

On Guam ... MDA has a "Five Star" club ... it cost's $60 USD and includes 5 dives (now a typical boat dive uses two tanks, so 2 of these coupons.) ... but it also get's you a discount (10% i THINK) off any other dives (and store merchandise) ... I believe the going rate is $35 or $45 for a two tank boat dive. They also do at least 2-3 night dives every week.

MDA will also rent you a tank and air fills ... lots of dirt-diving available on Guam if you don't want to spend the $$ for a boat.

http://www.scubaguam.com/forums/

a local forum ... advertise there if you want to find some buddies / guides.

I may be around ... hard to forcast my schedule from one month to the next.

Well, I'm back and it looks like a few of my tips are needed here!

Chris - Thanks for everything, you're a star! And jennefer is not me, I always go by jen.

Jon - don't worry about a think mate, I'll sort you out with al the info.

For anyone else interested in this topic - some points of advice. Coming from an Australian living in Japan I really didn't like the food on Guam. It was expensive, huge portions of fatty fast food. The only real good value good places are the hotels, Jamaican grill or pirates cove. Other locals might have more to say but I didn't go for all the fast food there...

If you have time, go to Palau, I repeat, GO TO PALAU!!! great place.

I did open water with MDA and shopped at GTDS and had a really good experience with Let's dive Guam. Each establishment is really as good as the people who work there.

Will write a bit more of a report later, hope this helps you all.

jen

P.S. If you're looking fo a cheap car how bout rent a wreck, Cars Unlimited, only $25 a day (24hours) great service.

Hey Jen,

I'm glad you got to go to Palau. Everytime I want to go, I can't find anyone to go with me!

All that fatty, large portion food, yea, it's just kind of an American thing I guess. I totally forgot about Jamaican Grill. Cool place and so relaxed. Like going to a real BBQ. Did you have a chance to go to Chamorro Village on a Wednesday night?

It's really great you had a chance to dive with several dive shops. It makes a difference. Chris and Yukiko at Let's Dive Guam are super nice people. As far as MDA and GTDS, you probably met a lot of my friends. Did you take any pics?

relaxed than you" friend (if I correctly remember your conversation over the cold :( eggplant parmesan the other night.) Hope to see you & your friends again down this way in the future....if you don't tell anybody about the ants in my house, I won't tell them about you raising a family of wasps in my car!

Take care,
Chris
www.letsdiveguam.com

Hi Jennefer, Jon and others,

It looks like some sound advice, but having lived on Guam for 19 years and teaching diving here, I can tell you that you can have whatever you want and whatever you want to pay for. Local divers can go on the boats with either MDA or GTDS at a very reasonable price. You don't need to have a guide and can usually tag along with a group. However, realize the reason those inexpensive rates are available is because the tourists are paying the tab ($85-$110 or maybe more). If you want to have your own personal guide you will need to pay for it. Guides have to pay the rent and eat also. Both dive shops offer guided beach dives at various times and they are usually free. You just have to provide your own dive gear, tanks, wts, etc. It is a great way to meet some local divers and maybe hook up with some people that you can go diving with. Since you will be on vacation and wanting to go diving every day, I would recommend you work with one of the dive shops so you have a plan for each day. Diving can be very inexpensive on Guam, but you need to realize the locals probably have to work each day while you are free and want to be in the water. I work with MDA but both MDA and GTDS can meet your needs. Just don't expect them to do it for free. Enjoy your stay here :)

Hi Diver1126....just want to point out that the posts were from 2003, not 2004. Jen & her friend ended up staying at my empty house for about a week. (I had a vacant house for a few months while I was in the process of moving into the Tumon area.) They both got certified here in Guam, and then did some diving in Palua...but both have now left Japan for their home countries. Too bad, I hope to see them again someday!

PS...had some technical problem with Scubaboard back then where it wouldn't accept my logon name...so I made a new one "cantlogon" for a few weeks until my old one (iruka) "came back."

Iruka:
Hi Diver1126....just want to point out that the posts were from 2003, not 2004. Jen & her friend ended up staying at my empty house for about a week. (I had a vacant house for a few months while I was in the process of moving into the Tumon area.) They both got certified here in Guam, and then did some diving in Palua...but both have now left Japan for their home countries. Too bad, I hope to see them again someday!

PS...had some technical problem with Scubaboard back then where it wouldn't accept my logon name...so I made a new one "cantlogon" for a few weeks until my old one (iruka) "came back."

Hi Chris :).. I haven't been here in a long time and just peeked in to see what was happening. Anyway old buddy, we know each other since I did your IDC. Hope business is going well for you. Give me a call if I can ever be of help. Larry

Back
Top Bottom