Guam, U.S.A.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeeTheWorld

Reaction score
Has anybody on this board dived in Guam? Can you give me an idea of how it is? What is the water temperature in 0-10 feet of water, and how is it once you go below 10 feet.

What's the marine life like? Would I be seeing any sea turtles, sharks, jellyfish? How is snorkeling on Guam (For the kids)

Any feedback would be really great.

-SeeTheWorld- From Los Angeles

EDIT: It must be on Guam only, I won't be able to go down to Palau and the other places, or even north to Saipan.

hey
i was just on guam for a while. diving there is absolutely awesome. i would highly recommend diving with MDA (micronesian divers association). they are located right on marine corps drive (route 1) by the fisheye marine park. as for the snorkeling it is also awesome. take the kids to gun beach behind the nikko hotel (i think that is what it is called) for awesome snorkeling. gab gab beach, and the spanish steps are also amazing snorkeling spots on the navy base. i dont know if you are military, but if you are not you wont be able to get to those places. nobody really ever goes to guam thats the beauty of it. mainly military, and japanese tourists.
it is completely underestimated. barracuda rock, anai island, fisheye, haps reef, petes reef are all great dives. also check out the cormoran and tokai dive as well. it is a wreck dive and is the only place in the world where 2 ships were sunk at the same place from two different wars. WWI and WWII. the ships lay at about 80 ft on top of each other. awesome dive. i dove it at night and it was very spooky and cool. as for the temp the water is always in the mid to upper 80's so it is warm. i dove without any wetsuit or anything. sharks are here, turtles are here, everythings here! dont know about the jellyfish though. when you get there go to MDA and ask them any questions you have on diving or snorkeling they will be pleased to anwer anything. there are so many awesome dive spots and snorkeling spots that i did not list. also if you go to guam you have to hike. hikking will bring you to secluded beaches and coves that not many get too. buy books on hiking guam and diving guam you will learn so much. lonely planet makes a great book on diving and snorkeling guam. you can get it at amazon.com. i cant wait to get back to guam with the navy. ill be back in about a year hopefully. i am in thailand now. anyway have a blast!!!

Island Hoppa:
hey
i was just on guam for a while. diving there is absolutely awesome. i would highly recommend diving with MDA (micronesian divers association). they are located right on marine corps drive (route 1) by the fisheye marine park. as for the snorkeling it is also awesome. take the kids to gun beach behind the nikko hotel (i think that is what it is called) for awesome snorkeling. gab gab beach, and the spanish steps are also amazing snorkeling spots on the navy base. i dont know if you are military, but if you are not you wont be able to get to those places. nobody really ever goes to guam thats the beauty of it. mainly military, and japanese tourists.
it is completely underestimated. barracuda rock, anai island, fisheye, haps reef, petes reef are all great dives. also check out the cormoran and tokai dive as well. it is a wreck dive and is the only place in the world where 2 ships were sunk at the same place from two different wars. WWI and WWII. the ships lay at about 80 ft on top of each other. awesome dive. i dove it at night and it was very spooky and cool. as for the temp the water is always in the mid to upper 80's so it is warm. i dove without any wetsuit or anything. sharks are here, turtles are here, everythings here! dont know about the jellyfish though. when you get there go to MDA and ask them any questions you have on diving or snorkeling they will be pleased to anwer anything. there are so many awesome dive spots and snorkeling spots that i did not list. also if you go to guam you have to hike. hikking will bring you to secluded beaches and coves that not many get too. buy books on hiking guam and diving guam you will learn so much. lonely planet makes a great book on diving and snorkeling guam. you can get it at amazon.com. i cant wait to get back to guam with the navy. ill be back in about a year hopefully. i am in thailand now. anyway have a blast!!!

Hey thanks for the reply. Are you with the military? I'm not with them so I'm not sure where I'd be able to go. Why aren't civilians allowed at those beaches? Is the Tumon Bay area good is you swim out, or too many people? I heard Ypao Beach (sp?) is also good. I was browsing the internet and I came across an interesting site:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=gemenes&nextdate=1/18/2005+0:29:50.857&direction=n

Read the entry with the trigger fish picture if you have time it's funny.

There aren't many natural predators in the sea around there right? I haven't heard of any shark attacks, or any sort of major attack by animals.

I know they have good wrecks off the coast there too. As for snorkeling the area is there lot's too see or do you have to go deep down towards the wrecks to see things?

I'm gonna look up the MDA you talked about, they seem like the best people to dive with.

Enjoy your trip in Thailand~

Hi....Island Hoppa gave you a lot of good information. Ypao beach is real convenient (near the Hilton Hotel in Tumon) and has lots of little blue chromis, cornet fish, sometimes schools of mullet, etc. The deepest you'll find is only about 8'/2.5m, though. Generally it's not practical to snorkel there past the reef, as it's a long walk (or swim at high tide) over the coral....which you shouldn't be walking on anyway, of course. Another easy, safe snorkelling place if Fisheye park, directly across from MDA...about a 15-minute drive from Tumon. Another place I'd recommend is Gun Beach, down an absolutely horrible road behind the Nikko Hotel. There's a cut in the reef made for telephone cables, which makes access to the deeper water quite easy. Just be careful of 1) big waves and 2) thieves. Your vehicle should not have any valuables in it, or at least they should be kept in the trunk. A locked door seems to mean "please break me with a rock & see what I'm hiding in the car."

As for the diving itself, there are lots of nice dive sites...but the "big" stuff that you'd be likely to see in Palau (mantas, sharks, schools of barracuda, etc) are not very common here. I've seen all of the above here....but on most of the dives, don't really expect to see them. Outside the harbor (where the boats go unless the waves are very big) the visibility is usually over 120'/40m or so. Inside the harbor it is more around 1/3 to 1/2 of that. Still not bad. I have a website which has a bunch of site descriptions & some photos from the different dive sites, if you feel like taking a look www.letsdiveguam.com

I tend to see a turtle or two most often at the Crevice, up around 40'/12m, heading back towards the cliff line. As far as wrecks, you mostly need to do them from a boat... And there's a catch-22 with diving them....usually, if the weather is good, the first (deep) dives are typically done OUTSIDE the harbor (Blue Hole, Crevice, Barracuda Rock, Hap's Reef being the most popular) and the 2nd dive is usually fairly shallow, so the wrecks aren't often done. In BAD weather, when the boats can't get outside, they hit the wrecks (figuratively speaking, ha ha) quite a bit. The Tokai Maru/Cormoran combo & American Tanker are most often done, but there's also the Val Dive bomber (not too much of it left) and the Kitsugawa Maru (deep). I've done the Tokai a few times from the beach, but it's about a 25-minute surface swim, which isn't for everybody. The American tanker would be a steep climb down a rock embankment, and then it's just off shore, but you're probably unable to drive down the breakwater to get near it....in fact, I'm not sure "individual" divers are allowed access to the beaches in the port (where the wrecks are)....dive shops & employees are required to have insurance listing the Port Authority as insured, and go through a police checkpoint to get there. Anyhow, a long way of saying that you'll probably need to get on a boat for wreck dives. Sometimes the big shops have a dive schedule listed which might include the wrecks; you should check that out...otherwise, it's mostly "group consensus" to determine the dive sites on the way there. One other inside the harbor site I'd recommend is Gab Gab 2....the Atlantis submarine goes there & feeds the fish, so you get a school of big jacks aka Giant Trevallies...about 20 of them, plus batfish swirling around you. Pretty neat.

Hope you enjoy your diving here!

SeeTheWorld:
Hey thanks for the reply. Are you with the military? I'm not with them so I'm not sure where I'd be able to go. Why aren't civilians allowed at those beaches? Is the Tumon Bay area good is you swim out, or too many people? I heard Ypao Beach (sp?) is also good. I was browsing the internet and I came across an interesting site:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=gemenes&nextdate=1/18/2005+0:29:50.857&direction=n

Read the entry with the trigger fish picture if you have time it's funny.

There aren't many natural predators in the sea around there right? I haven't heard of any shark attacks, or any sort of major attack by animals.

I know they have good wrecks off the coast there too. As for snorkeling the area is there lot's too see or do you have to go deep down towards the wrecks to see things?

I'm gonna look up the MDA you talked about, they seem like the best people to dive with.

Enjoy your trip in Thailand~

hey
that article is so true. i was attacked and stalked by those damn trigger fish as well. snorkeling behind the nikko i noticed a small group of them, being that they are absolutely gorgeous fish i got a little closer. that was a mistake. for the rest of the snorkeling the things were all around me. they would swim very fast towards your face and then dodge away at the last moment making you think they were going to attack. they are extremely territorial fish so they are known to do that. just stay clear of those evil things. haha.

ypao beach is nice and so is gun beach. the thing i didnt like about ypao beach is that it is in tumon and is always full of japanese tourists. when i was on guam i tended to stay away from tourist areas. i would hike and explore different parts of the island to find the best spots. the southern part of the island is the most beautiful. very scenic and makes an awesome drive. merizo and cocos island are beautiful spots. just follow route 1 and veer to the left right before the navy base. you will not have access to any beaches on military bases. civilians are not permitted on any of the bases. when i was there i was living with a family member in the navy so i had access to all of the military places. i am in the navy now though, and looking to get stationed in honolulu and guam. as for shark attacks i have never heard of any ever. but there are sharks just like any place in the south pacific. the main thing you have to worry about in guam is riptides. there are many drownings a year in guam becuase of riptides. when you go there youll notice that there is a reef about a quarter of a mile off the beach where the waves are breaking do not go near that reef. riptides will wist you out to sea. tumon is fine though. you can swim there. all the tourists do. when you drive on route 1 youll notice the reef and the waves breaking. MDA is the best. there are never tourists on the dive boats always americans. friendly americans too. all mainly military. the dive operators of the boat are the funniest people you will love them. great batch of folks there. anyway i hope you have a great time you will never forget your experiences on that island it is very special. just beware of the locals they dont have many brain cells, and sure as hell dont know how to drive. hahaha. anyone that has been on guam can vouch for that. have fun!!!

I echo what IslandHoppa says about watching out for currents. Let me add that you should NOT go snorkeling a day or two after a big storm b/c of the big waves that break over the reef, bringing lots of water that has to escape somewhere -- usually through the cuts and channels. I lived on Saipan for a few years and lots of people died there, locals and tourists alike, after getting caught in an outgoing current post-storms.

Back
Top Bottom