Guadalupe, Great White Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RNININF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to take a trip to Guadalupe and have read how earlier in the seasons there are many of the smaller males and as the season approaches late October/November mainly there are fewer but very large females.

Unfortunately, I can only get a vacation this year for late October and was wondering if I could get advice from anyone who has been during October/November on if it is worth it or if I should wait until another year when I can go earlier in the season.

Thank You

I was there second half of October and we had lots of sharks all the time. From the smaller males to the big females. I can't compare it to early in the season but at times we had 5-6 sharks around and there were always about 3 around all times.

here's a video from the trip

I've been to Guadalupe a couple of times. The first trip was in late-September and the second was in mid-October. Both trips were enjoyable and resulted in good photographs. I've posted some in the portfolio section on my website (www.cortezbluephotography.com). I used the same dive operation for both trips and the crew knew how to get the sharks interested in dropping by to see what was going on. We definitely saw more larger sharks in mid-October, but the largest shark (19' female) actually showed-up during the late-September trip. At some point, I'll probably look at late-October/early-November dates when I make another trip out there.

AZTinman

@Premo83
Great video !
introduction & establishing views
body & action
ending with Baja sun set

The cute girl with the mickey mouse ears added a degree of humor
Keep her around ! She is a keeper
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My best friend, Ron Merker, (@drbill's instructor) set the BFT spear fishing record in 1962
Around 1980 the BFT record was broken by mu friend Dr. Terry Mass

Concurrently Al Sneppersnoff was attacked an killed by GWS
11 years later one of my ex students Harry Ingram was also attacked by a GWS. but at the very last moment shot the shark at point blank range and took a ride on the sharks back
Some day I might also travel south to Guadalupe islands

@RNININF
I suspect more excitement than you will find in the Hoosier corn fields-- especially if you swim out side of the cage

SDM

I went there in Dec 2004 on a scientific expedition to tag and film GWS. This was before Ocearch. We had 15 GWS that late in season and tagged 13 of them. Filming was with Dr. Guy Harvey for his show "Portraits from the Deep."

I'm looking to take a trip to Guadalupe and have read how earlier in the seasons there are many of the smaller males and as the season approaches late October/November mainly there are fewer but very large females.

Unfortunately, I can only get a vacation this year for late October and was wondering if I could get advice from anyone who has been during October/November on if it is worth it or if I should wait until another year when I can go earlier in the season.

Thank You

I posted in another thread that we went this past October, and had great shark action, including one of the largest females seen at Guadalupe, Lucy. Late October will be great IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom