GUADALUPE 2021 GREAT WHITE SHARK DIVING SEASON - CONTINUED CLOSURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just received the following email from Nautilus liveaboard:

“We are deeply disappointed to report that the Guadalupe marine biosphere national park remains closed by special proclamation and that we understand there is virtually no chance of the park opening before next winter. This government action will prohibit us from running our 2021 schedule of shark trips.

All the national parks in southern Baja Mexico are open and we are operating trips out of Cabo San Lucas, La Paz and San Ignacio Lagoon. We are confident that Guadalupe will be open for our 2022 season. In the meantime, we’re excited to unveil some new spectacular under-the-radar adventures taking place across Baja Mexico this year…”

Here we go again, I rescheduled my trip 2021 to 2022.

I just received the following email from Nautilus liveaboard:

“We are deeply disappointed to report that the Guadalupe marine biosphere national park remains closed by special proclamation and that we understand there is virtually no chance of the park opening before next winter. This government action will prohibit us from running our 2021 schedule of shark trips.

All the national parks in southern Baja Mexico are open and we are operating trips out of Cabo San Lucas, La Paz and San Ignacio Lagoon. We are confident that Guadalupe will be open for our 2022 season. In the meantime, we’re excited to unveil some new spectacular under-the-radar adventures taking place across Baja Mexico this year…”

Here we go again, I rescheduled my trip 2021 to 2022.
Me too. I rescheduled as well. Is there any update? I can't seem to find one.

Just so there's no confusion (or to create some), it appears that Guadalupe will be closed for the entire 2022 season (aka "this year").

Actually they were able to re-open its 2021 season and I was able to go there in last August. Here’s my trip video:

Nice video. We were there in August 2018. Looks like you had some wonderful sun to make for some good footage. Did you get to see any go straight up from deep to "surprise" the wrangler? That plus seeing them use the ship to conceal their strike was super interesting. I also don’t recall the regulator necklaces. Wonder if they had an incident in the intervening years to prompt that refinement.

Anyone know why it remains closed, or closed down in the first place?

Nice video. We were there in August 2018. Looks like you had some wonderful sun to make for some good footage. Did you get to see any go straight up from deep to "surprise" the wrangler? That plus seeing them use the ship to conceal their strike was super interesting. I also don’t recall the regulator necklaces. Wonder if they had an incident in the intervening years to prompt that refinement.
Thanks!

Saw no surprise from the deep. May be I missed the seen.

I like the regulator necklace thing. I may start putting my octopus on it and have less clutter on my chest D-rings to clip other things (GoPro, pointer, etc.)

Thanks!

Saw no surprise from the deep. May be I missed the seen.

I like the regulator necklace thing. I may start putting my octopus on it and have less clutter on my chest D-rings to clip other things (GoPro, pointer, etc.)

Two short clips, both posted on Dropbox, if you're curious:

(1) Using the boat as cover before rushing the bait (The file is called "Clever Girl" -- but that's just a Jurassic Park reference. The shark in the video is a male.)

(2) Rocketing nearly straight up from the depths

Back
Top Bottom