GTA Shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm going to be in the GTA next week and am taking the dive gear with me. I'm looking for a few easy shore dives. My wife and I have about 80 dives between us but are still prefer to stick to the easy dives unless with other who have dove the site previously.

Can anyone recommend a site. I'm looking more from Humber river around through St. Catherines. We may also head up to Tobermory if time permits.

Jim

Tobermory isn't the closest to the GTA. How far are you willing to travel for dive sites? Interested in drift dives?

Humber Bay West is Toronto's dive location, situated a mile or so West of Humber river (~35 minutes from downtown core). Visibility this time of year typically ranges anywhere from a few feet to 20-30 feet. Shore dive with depth to 20' within a few minutes going to about 45'. Can dive off the south-facing shore or in the smaller cove a hundred yards to the West, which is where we typically go in (stick to the left and you will likely pick up a line, which leads to a sunken ~12' boat (you can start in small cove and go around to the south facing shore. This site might tell you visibility conditions on any given day (and you might find someone to show you around): Log into Facebook | Facebook (Note: GUE oriented site). On Wednesday (summer) evenings, Aquarius Scuba runs a boat our of the Humber marina to a wreck (or two) of Humber Bay in about 60-80'. (contact: Contact | Aquarius Scuba).

Barrie, about an hour North of Toronto, has the Morrison in about 25' of water (Lake Simcoe, shore dive off Centennial Park).

One hour West of Toronto, near Hamilton, is Gulliver's Lake, a water filled quarry of about 20'. Bass, trout

You could phone the dive shop In Oakville (about an hour west of Toronto, as I believe they have an evening charter out to some near-shore wrecks. There are a few other spots West of Toronto that others might be able to share.

Tobermory is amazing for wrecks, about 4 hours North (North West) of Toronto. Light House point (no wrecks?) and tugs are shore dives. Would suggest a boat if going all the way to Tobermory.

Rockport, Kingston and a few other areas about 3 hours+ East of Toronto are other great spots for wrecks.

@Grey Goose Also to tag along, the dive charter that aquarius uses on Wednesdays is a pretty nice charter. Rick, the guy who runs the charter is a pretty nice guy. Was on a charter with him up in Midland last weekend.

Tobermory isn't the closest to the GTA. How far are you willing to travel for dive sites? Interested in drift dives?

My wife and I both love drifts but rather difficult without support.

Humber Bay West is Toronto's dive location, situated a mile or so West of Humber river (~35 minutes from downtown core). Visibility this time of year typically ranges anywhere from a few feet to 20-30 feet. Shore dive with depth to 20' within a few minutes going to about 45'. Can dive off the south-facing shore or in the smaller cove a hundred yards to the West, which is where we typically go in (stick to the left and you will likely pick up a line, which leads to a sunken ~12' boat (you can start in small cove and go around to the south facing shore. This site might tell you visibility conditions on any given day (and you might find someone to show you around): Log into Facebook | Facebook (Note: GUE oriented site). On Wednesday (summer) evenings, Aquarius Scuba runs a boat our of the Humber marina to a wreck (or two) of Humber Bay in about 60-80'. (contact: Contact | Aquarius Scuba).

Barrie, about an hour North of Toronto, has the Morrison in about 25' of water (Lake Simcoe, shore dive off Centennial Park).

One hour West of Toronto, near Hamilton, is Gulliver's Lake, a water filled quarry of about 20'. Bass, trout

You could phone the dive shop In Oakville (about an hour west of Toronto, as I believe they have an evening charter out to some near-shore wrecks. There are a few other spots West of Toronto that others might be able to share.

Tobermory is amazing for wrecks, about 4 hours North (North West) of Toronto. Light House point (no wrecks?) and tugs are shore dives. Would suggest a boat if going all the way to Tobermory.

Rockport, Kingston and a few other areas about 3 hours+ East of Toronto are other great spots for wrecks.

Great tips. The Humber bay definitely looks interesting, especially if we can join the boat tour.

Tobermory has been on my list of sites I want to dive since before my OW. We had taken a trip up that way (motorcycle tour of some of the waterfalls in the area) a number of years ago and have been dying to go back.

We live in Ottawa so are familiar with Kingston Brockville sites.

Again, thanks all.

My wife and I both love drifts but rather difficult without support.

Great tips. The Humber bay definitely looks interesting, especially if we can join the boat tour.

Tobermory has been on my list of sites I want to dive since before my OW. We had taken a trip up that way (motorcycle tour of some of the waterfalls in the area) a number of years ago and have been dying to go back.

We live in Ottawa so are familiar with Kingston Brockville sites.

Again, thanks all.
Funny enough, Aquarious, the diveshop that was mentioned in the previous posts for the Wednesday charter in the Humber actually was just at Tobermory this weekend. I saw the guys from the shop there and they looked like they had a fairly large boat charter. Too bad you missed that. I was just there this weekend with another group.

Are you going to be in the GTA next weekend?

Toronto to Hamilton
Time: 40 minutes from CN Tower
Shore dive: Yes
Things to see: Massive Shipwreck

/////////////////////////////////////

Toronto to Innerkip Quarry
Time : 1 hour 20 minutes from CN Tower
Shore dive: Yes
Things to see: Many boats, cars, bus', planes and even a giant deadly mineshaft

I have seen Gulliver's recommended. Avoid it. There is nothing but a simple dive platform and you can no longer park near it. You have to park with all the regular beach going swimmers, not on the side of the road beside the dive platform. Avoid at all costs.

I have seen Gulliver's recommended. Avoid it. There is nothing but a simple dive platform and you can no longer park near it. You have to park with all the regular beach going swimmers, not on the side of the road beside the dive platform. Avoid at all costs.

I don't know what the appeal is with Gulliver's and why some dive shops go there weekly. I have been there and there wasn't anything to see, and like you said the parking situation is pretty bad. And you have to pay for that.

I don't know what the appeal is with Gulliver's and why some dive shops go there weekly. I have been there and there wasn't anything to see, and like you said the parking situation is pretty bad. And you have to pay for that.

Great place to have a dive for testing gear, experimenting and what not. I usually go at least once a year to test out my sea legs at the beginning of a season but after they told everyone to park with the swimmers I just crossed it off my list. Innerkip is just as close to me.

Anyways, quick change of subject, look out for my next video, I found the barge of Petawawa where Petawawa opens up into the Ottawa River, just downstream of the Chalk RIver nuclear energy plant. Just working on the editing now.

Back
Top Bottom