GSD Pioneer rebuild attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
@axxel57 shared a GSD Spinnaker project yesterday, which reminded me of a GSD Pioneer that was sitting away in my to do box. Italian made around 1979 with diaphragm first stage and upstream second stage.

The second stage design allows for right or left side use by rotating the exhaust deflector attachment point 180 degrees and is rather compact, weighting 6 oz and measuring 2" diameter.
p1.jpg
p2.jpg

Having a bit of time today, I decided to see if I could make any progress with the Pioneer.
Initial check showed the first stage with runaway IP and second stage free flow. I began with disassembly of the second stage.

The exhaust deflector is easily removed after removing a small gsd decal covering a screw. The cover is locked in place by a 2mm red plastic pin, which crumbled when a pick was used, so I drilled it out to release the cover.
From there everything was straightforward, the second stage design is different from anything I have looked at, but not complex at all. The heart of the design is a small assembly with spring and pin, which appears to used in several other GSD regulators including the Spinnaker.

p3.jpg

After cleaning and reassembling the second stage, I attached it to a first stage with IP of 140.

The result was....no change - still free flowing. I see no adjustment points, but wonder if a new rubber plate would help, the spring pushes on it to creates a seal when there is no demand for air. Not much to be done if that is the problem.
plate.jpg

I am also thinking that is a rather light weight spring and would not be surprised if 140 is too high for this second stage. Easy enough to check on lower IP, but will save it for another day.

I also started on first stage disassembly, but did not get far. I was able to remove the six hole side metal cover with pin spanners, but the other side requires tool along the lines of a flathead screwdriver, except unusually thin and wide. I will dig thru the scrap pile and try to make a tool to use.

At the end of the day, no real progress but it has been fun trying.

Thoughts or suggestions for getting the Pioneer running are welcome.

Hi Kupu

Congrats for your GDS Pioneer reg.

First thanks a lot!

Mentioning the GDS Pioneer you reminded me that years ago I bought a 2nd like that for very little money in the bay, but didn’t recognize it as a Scuba 2nd and forgot about it.

Yesterday I looked for it and really I found it in my workshop ( so I didn’t leave it in my workshop in the Carribbean).

It’s in fact a GDS Pioneer 2nd, just missing the exhaust tee.

So I dismantled it, cleaned it and put it back together. When I tested it I realized that it has a crack in the body at the hose connector, so I will first have to see how I can seal the crack before really testing it.

But anyway I guess I can guide you through the procedure and explain you how it works.

You explained correct that the Pioneer 2nd is an upstream model, at least the small pilot (servo) valve.

The main valve opens with the incoming air flow, so should be considered as a downstream valve.

The main valve orifice is the hole in the center of the 2nd stage body, so the air, coming from the side, has to flow first 90 degrees towards the orifice and then back 180 degrees to the mouth piece

The tiny pilot valve spring just keeps the pilot valve in position, of course it cannot close the main valve against whatever IP. The LP seat sits loose in its fitting, so when the IP hits the seat, the valve first is open.

What you probably overlooked (in my Pioneer it is very easy to see, in contrast to my Spinnaker, where I could not recognize it even when I thought it must be there), is the tiny hole in the LP seat which let the air from the 1st enter the space behind the seat, putting pressure on the upstream pilot valve and then on the LP seat, which is pushed back towards the orifice and closes it ( this is why first you have always a short free flow before the main valve is closed).

When you are inhaling, the lever of the pilot valve will open and release some air into the space under the diaphragm, producing a vacuum in the space below the pilot valve. The LP seat follows the lower pressure and opens the main valve until the inhaling process is finished. Then the cycle starts again.

That’s how I understand it from what I see. Basically it is quite similar to the Poseidon Jetstream and Tekna 2100 2nds.

When I dismantled yesterday the pilot valve of the Pioneer, I found a lot of rust on the metal lever ( unfortunately I didn’t make photos of that), no way it could seal. I put it in the Ultrasound and the I removed the rust as good as could with a Dremel, but I think I had some material loss on it. Anyway after the procedure it sealed again.

Also I realized that the tiny hole in the LP seat was clogged, I couldn’t get air through with the air gun.

So I used a fine needle to remove the obstruction.

I had been pretty lucky that the Spinnaker I purchased, obviously had never been used, so everything is working flawlessly after I had put it together again (CE 0,8inch/h2o at static IP, 1,1inch/h2o at 12,5 SCFM flow, without venturi assist!)).

I used the 4bar IP to which the Spinnaker 1st was adjusted and Angelo was mentioning in another thread.

For basic testing of the Pioneer I used Conshelf 1st, but with 4bars IP the Pioneer 2nd kept on free flowing. When I increased to a bit more than 6bars (95psi) the valve closed, so I guess the Pioneer 2nd needs a higher IP than the Spinnaker, maybe somebody around knows…….

For me the Pioneer and Spinnaker 2nds are a pretty unique design, when rinsed well then two almost maintenance free 2nds. I don’t think that you need a new LP seat, in contrast to downstream 2nds the Pioneer 2nd main valve is open when not under pressure, so probably it will not be grooved very deep.

So good luck with your baby, I would love to get a Pioneer 1st in my hands ( maybe one day)!
P1060507.JPG
P1060508.JPG
P1060513.JPG
P1060544.JPG
P1060546.JPG
P1060523.JPG
P1060536.JPG
P1060541.JPG
P1060542.JPG
P1060555.JPG

Great information axxel, thank you!

After posting my initial experiences with the Pioneer yesterday, I could not get the project off my mind and so spent more time breaking down and reassembling the second stage. After a time, the design became clearer to me and you have confirmed my thoughts about how it works.

At that time I noticed the pin hole in the low pressure seat and how it balances against IP and should help seal the seat. The pin hole is clean and clear, confirmed by placing the seat over a small flashlight. As you mention, the seat does not appear to be grooved deeply.

The regulator seals against inhalation when the hose connector inlet is covered with my finger, the diaphragm is good. The body is in great condition an I think no cracks. I tried reduced IP of 6 bar, free flow results.

I was not comfortable disassembling the pilot valve, I was not sure how to do so and did not want to do harm to the delicate parts. With the information and photos you have provided, I now think a leaking pilot valve is the most likely cause of free flow and think I understand how to take it apart for cleaning.

I find myself interested in collecting second stages much more than first stages and so since you have interest in the Pioneer first stage, I am happy to send it to you in as is condition for the cost of shipping. From what I have seen, you have a very nice regulator collection and think you would give it a good home.

Fantastic. After cleaning the pilot assembly, success.

The pin was in need of rust removal, so soaked it for a few hours followed by a cycle in the cleaner and then a bit of touch up with micromesh. The head of the pin has significant pit, but sealing surface is now good.
pin.jpg

I have stopped testing for the night, air blasts from regulator do not help the family sleep. But it appears there are ways to adjust performance. I have changed locations of the LP seat pin hole, the pilot activation rocker, adjusted IP, and even flipped the diaphragm cover with substantial changes in performance. Depending on configuration, breathing effort has been from .7" h2o to over 2" h2o.

Tomorrow I will play some more and figure out the variables.

Following up on performance and adjustment for the Pioneer. Best performance I have found is breathing effort of .6" h20 with IP set at 75 psi (5 bar).

IP setting has strong impact on breathing effort. Lower IP equals easier breathing, but going much below 70 psi creates freeflow. At 75 psi the cracking effort is .6", .5" sipping air, and .7" with full throated inhale. Taking the IP to 100 psi gives 1.1" to crack, 1.0" sipping, and .75" full throated inhale. IP at 125 gives efforts of 1.5" to 2" plus.

After many attempts to find other adjustments, I threw in the towel. Although there was large variation in performance as I played with rotating the seat and pilot assembly, I was not able to find a pattern. Each breakdown and reassembly gave a different result. I have a few thoughts about why that is, but think it probably boils down to the touchy nature of the pilot assembly.

So after finding the sweet spot, I stopped playing around and considered it a win. It is a fun regulator and I really like how the Pioneer breathes, looking forward to getting it in the water. My dive season is done until next year, so will have to wait awhile to dive it.

I picked up a GSD S-300 as well. It is internally identical to the Pioneer.

The body is slightly different shape, and unfortunately it uses a proprietary mouthpiece that cannot easily be replaced with any standard mouthpiece. The internal parts are in great shape, so I will keep them as backup for the Pioneer.

As a side note, a Salvas Pro SR 400 regulator appears to be a rebranded S-300. I had my eyes on a SR 400 until finding the mouthpiece problem.

front.jpg

mouth.jpg

Hello guys
Today I received the GDS Pioneer 1st stage from Kupu, man, thanks a lot!
Had to open it right away.
Again a remarkable design, very small body (4,00 * 4,8cm,), a Diaphragm 1st design without diaphragm, quite interesting!
I opened and cleaned it, unfortunately was the HP seat completely disintegrated, so I couldn't even tell how high or wide it had been.
It's a different design as the one in the Lola museum, no spring and the HP seat seemed to have been fixed around the poppet (the groove on the poppet shoulder let me guess that), the poppet stem has been coated with a plastic layer probably for smoother operation.
So, unless I find a new poppet with an intact seat, I cannot test the thing........
I tried with a LP seat, but that doesn't work.
Anyway, I really like this special 1st stage design (without any spring!!), has somebody here ever seen something like this?
Was real fun to work on that!
Kupu, I owe you!:cheers:
P1060645.JPG
P1060649.JPG
P1060654.JPG
P1060655.JPG
P1060657.JPG
P1060661.JPG
P1060669.JPG
P1060670.JPG
P1060675.JPG
P1060677.JPG