Group booking recommendations for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the tanks... I think the OP needs to understand a few things about Cozumel diving that he may not realize. Most people, and I mean MOST people, do not need the bigger tanks diving in Cozumel because it is all drift diving. That means not kicking around to navigate, just go with the flow. Also, divers are in groups of 8 or smaller per DM, which means divers stay together on the dives, moving at same approx speed and finish the dives together. This is different from many other dive destinations. There are bigger tanks available with prior notice if someone does need them (air consumption issues, etc) or if the whole group (like with Aldora) plan longer down times on the dives. HOWEVER, most dive ops try to do 2 tank dives hitting 2 completely different reefs in their morning 2-tank dive trips, with an hour surface interval between making it necessary to head out after breakfast in order to get back in time for lunch.

Yoke vs DIN valves... many of my friends who have DIN carry their own adapter with them when traveling. Many places in the world have 1 or the other but not both. Better safe than sorry.

As far as staying at SCC, it could be done for your group, BUT you would expect to need the adapters (they have a few but probably not that many) AND the group dive aluminum 80s. They have a few larger tanks but not alot and they are aluminum. They would give the group their own boat for the week, as would other dive ops. The group would need to be staying at SCC though, they do not pick up at other hotels. SCC usually loads up boats around 8am to head out and are back around 12:30-1pm for lunch. Smaller faster boats at other dive ops might return earlier.

As Christi said, Aldora is probably a better fit for this group.

I think the best question for the OP.... WHY did you pick Cozumel? Is there something in particular you are looking for in the diving? The deep reefs, the current, the fishlife? Cozumel is world-renowned for its wild current, 200' vis, coral pinnacles, and abundant fishlife. If you are there to dive dive dive, you need to make sure that the Dive OP you chose is going to be able to fulfill this request. Many dive ops will only do 2 tank morning dives, then maybe 1 tank afternoon dive if they have a full boat.

robin

Back
Top Bottom