'Grommeting' holes into BCD Pocket for more support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EKKsoldier622

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How should I go about doing this that doesn't cause tearing or unraveling of the pocket? I have a Pro QD w/ I3 and attached a pretty nice little SOG knife to the two existing grommet holes, but would like to wrap some more zip ties around the other side to add more support; I simply lack the holes to utilize.

Pics to help with what I'm saying.
IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

So puncture the pocket with a sharp object like an ice pick, to about the side of the ID of the grommet. Then melt the edges of the hole. Then grommet and repeat?

EDIT: May be a better idea to get a small rod the ID of the grommet and heat it so it melts through the BCD pocket.

I mounted a small BC knife on my pocket using a nail & a lighter. Heated up the nail melted a hole big enough for the screws to go through. Grommets should adequately reinforce the holes, though I skipped that step.

My only concern with that SEAL Pup you have mounted is the knife falling out of the sheath. My buddy's kydex sheath is getting a little loose, but he only uses his seal pup on land.

id have too look at the material to see if it is possible, but from having built corsets in the past (proper waist cinching corsets, that need to be able to handle stress), I would never use a grommet punch or anything to cut the fibres. Rather get a sewing awl, and take advantage of the point to be able to move the fibres aside rather then cutting the threads to create your hole. Once you have wiggled your way to a big enough hole (if the awl doesnt go big enough i just switch to a marker or something tapered that does) slide the long side of the grommet into the hole as you wriggled the awl out.

I have done exactly what you are trying to do. I would not use the methods described nor the chintzy cheap grommets in the picture.

I recommend finding the best grommets (another name to search under eyelets) the size you want. I found some in Germany in the Home Depot type store but they can be found elsewhere and on line. The best is stainless, but they require a special press. The next best is aluminum, then zinc plated brass. A good source for almost anything is McMaster Kerr. They are not the cheapest, but they have most anything.

You'll also need a hole punch. It is a solid rod with a hollow end. The hollow end is sharp. You can get a set of these at Harbor Freight or similar for really cheap. You can make one that will suffice a few uses by buying some kind of tube the right diameter and sharpen one end.

Mark where you want you hole with a silver sharpie. Make triple sure it is exactly where you want it because you cannot undo anything from here on.

Put a piece of wood inside the pocket to absorb the blow of the punch. Make sure nothing is under it that can get damaged. I use a 4x4 fence post for an anvil. Punch your hole by making one good hit on the end of your punch with a hammer. If everything went right, you will have a clean cut that is exactly the right size. (I recommend practice before punching up your BCD.)

Have fun.

Next singe the hole. I like a good torch lighter. The fibers around the hole will fuse nicely since they are most certainly nylon. It should only take a couple of seconds exposure to the heat.

Now you can put in your grommet or eyelet. A grommet has two pieces; one swages into the other. An eyelet is one piece where one side is formed/flared to crimp. Make sure it clinches all around. You can test by trying to turn the eyelet with respect to the fabric. It should not turn. It should be crimped firmly into the cloth.

Lastly install your knife.

An alternative is to grip your hole punch with vice grips. Heat the cutting end with a torch and press it into the fabric. Of course it should be supported underneath, since you can easily punch a hole through all layers of the BCD with the hot punch. This will actually save the separate step of singeing but I like the open flame fusing.

Another option is find a parachute repair shop, a sail maker, or an awning or boat cover maker in your area and sweet talk them into helping you. They may even have the eyelet you need in stock in stainless and the special press to install them.

Yet ANOTHER option. Look for a paper drill….not a paper punch, but a paper drill. That will make a nice hole.

I have done exactly what you are trying to do. I would not use the methods described nor the chintzy cheap grommets in the picture.

I recommend finding the best grommets (another name to search under eyelets) the size you want. I found some in Germany in the Home Depot type store but they can be found elsewhere and on line. The best is stainless, but they require a special press. The next best is aluminum, then zinc plated brass. A good source for almost anything is McMaster Kerr. They are not the cheapest, but they have most anything.

You'll also need a hole punch. It is a solid rod with a hollow end. The hollow end is sharp. You can get a set of these at Harbor Freight or similar for really cheap. You can make one that will suffice a few uses by buying some kind of tube the right diameter and sharpen one end.

Mark where you want you hole with a silver sharpie. Make triple sure it is exactly where you want it because you cannot undo anything from here on.

Put a piece of wood inside the pocket to absorb the blow of the punch. Make sure nothing is under it that can get damaged. I use a 4x4 fence post for an anvil. Punch your hole by making one good hit on the end of your punch with a hammer. If everything went right, you will have a clean cut that is exactly the right size. (I recommend practice before punching up your BCD.)

Have fun.

Next singe the hole. I like a good torch lighter. The fibers around the hole will fuse nicely since they are most certainly nylon. It should only take a couple of seconds exposure to the heat.

Now you can put in your grommet or eyelet. A grommet has two pieces; one swages into the other. An eyelet is one piece where one side is formed/flared to crimp. Make sure it clinches all around. You can test by trying to turn the eyelet with respect to the fabric. It should not turn. It should be crimped firmly into the cloth.

Lastly install your knife.

An alternative is to grip your hole punch with vice grips. Heat the cutting end with a torch and press it into the fabric. Of course it should be supported underneath, since you can easily punch a hole through all layers of the BCD with the hot punch. This will actually save the separate step of singeing but I like the open flame fusing.

Another option is find a parachute repair shop, a sail maker, or an awning or boat cover maker in your area and sweet talk them into helping you. They may even have the eyelet you need in stock in stainless and the special press to install them.

Back
Top Bottom