Grey Nurse Shark Rescue Photo's and story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Last week while diving my local dive site of Julian Rocks, Byron Bay, Australia we came accross a Grey Nurse Shark (GNS) which looked like it had a broken jaw and alot of fishing gear inside it. It looked like it has been feeding for sometime.

The GNS here in Australia is the same species as the Sandtiger in USA and Raggytooth in South Africa. Unfortunately due to heavy spearfishing/fishing 30-40years ago and the slow reproductive rate of the shark the numbers on the East Coast of Australia have been reduced to what some say around 400-500 animals.

This decline made the GNS the first ever shark to recieve government protection and has been classed as a Critically endangered species.

Last friday I had the chance to dive with my Camera with the goal to capture some images of this animal. The conditions were poor with Vis around the 3-4m mark. Not the best for shooting ultra wide angle (10mm). But I was very lucky with my results:

3912056893_2f48d92479.jpg

Showing the poor condition of the animal

3912841406_4445d3bbf9.jpg

3912059277_ba02a9abd8.jpg

The Video mode on the D90 worked well:

20090911 413 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After I took these pics I contacted Sea World here in Australia which is about an hours drive away. Emailed the pics and video to them and to Department of Primary Industries (Government) to get the approval for Sea World to perform a rescue. As the Animal is classed as a Critically endangered species there would be alot of paper work and government approval before anything to be done.

Tuesday morning Sea World arrived at Julian Rocks and the search for the animal started. After a couple of attempts the rescue was aborted as there was too much current and the visabilty was 3-4m.

Wednesday morning was a success as my dive buddy Tatiana and I located the shark with our local knowledge and alot of searching and lead the Rescue team to the animal.

The animal was captured and brought onboard the Sea World boat for treatment.

Here are few pics of the event:

3925651554_9f86e549c4.jpg

GNS in the lifting harness placed in the holding tank.

3924880047_f44bf809c5.jpg

Trevor Long from Sea World putting the GNS in "Tonic"

3924956715_211c9502ee.jpg

Tatiana with a big smile for helping one of her sharks

3924978349_50d96212f1.jpg

Yours Truely holding the GNS to get oxygen enriched water flowing through (Nitrox for fish)

3925693212_f02af4bcf1.jpg

The Animal was taken back to Sea World for test and treatment. At least it has a chance for survival which it didn't in the wild.

It shows you how powerful a picture can be and how it also can be used as a tool to get things done. In this case save a endangered species from certain death.

Regards Mark

ps more pictures are on my flickr site, see link below

Mark,

Thank you for helping to save the life of a beautiful shark.
Its so awesome that you stepped in to help.

That is so sad. Great job finding him!! There need to be more people like you guys :)

Very cool. Congrats. Good job! Being part of that, especially such an important part, must have a great feeling.

I never imagined that Grey Nurse's would be endangered over there. I mean, it's unreal because off North Carolina, USA, there are tons of them. Any day of the week on wrecks like the Proteus you can see..........easily........50+. That's just one wreck.

This video from my buddy can't even come close to what we see, to just look around and in every direction from 3 feet to 100 feet there are just sharks and more sharks:
Best Sharks of 2008 on Vimeo

Again, very cool. You should be proud.

Great story, and thanks for posting your photographs here - I always enjoy them.

BTW, did a couple of your photos make it into a dive magazine available down here in Tasmania? I'm just finishing a commercial diving course, and someone in the classroom was looking at the pics, and I thought I recognised your hand at work...

What am amazing experience, very rewarding. Good for you! I was wondering how they caught the shark?

Interesting story and great images Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom