Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello ! I’m fairly new to diving and new to this site ! I’ll be going to Roatan in September ! I’m treating myself for my birthday ! Any recommend dive spots? Dive Centers ? I became certified while living in Maui and my friend is a dive master. We would rent equipment and go- mostly shore dives- also did a couple boat dives. I’m bringing a sister who only snorkels. Looking for information about best way to set myself up for diving and possibly a buddy ? Thanks

howdy and welcome from southeast florida ...good luck with your trip.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You've come to a great forum where you can spend time during your surface intervals.

Hi and welcome.

The answer will depend on where you want to stay.

Many shops in Roatan will offer free equipment rentals with their dive fee. Also, you can't really shore dive on Roatan without a DM.

Also, you can't really shore dive on Roatan without a DM.

I dove mainly West End and while the reef is pretty close to shore, there is also a ton of boat traffic, especially water taxis who are not always on the lookout for divers/snorkeled/swimmers. Boat diving on Roatan is pretty convenient and inexpensive anyway.

If you are going with a non-diving sister, you may want to consider staying in West Bay. It has a big white sand crescent beach that has good snorkeling and more non-diving activities than West End or the dive focused resorts.

West Bay is also a little closer to the tip of the island where the current is a little friskier and has some of my favorite sites. Pablo’s and Texas are good ones. Elsewhere, I also like Hole in the Wall/Swiss Cheese. Last year we had great silverside schooling there in late September. Blue Channel is a nice dive with lots of swim throughs and is also suitable for snorkeling, so your sister can probably go out on the boat with you.

I second West Bay. If you walk all the way down the beach towards the little cliffs you can do some decent snorkeling there. The water gets cloudy if there are a lot of people swimming around, but early in the morning it's okay. And there is no boat traffic down at that end.

There are lots of great dive shops in West Bay and West End. I went with West Bay Divers and they were fantastic, but there are plenty of others too.

Good eats in both West Bay and West End. Argentinian Grill in West Bay (I think they have a location in West End too) is really good.

Enjoy!

I dove mainly West End and while the reef is pretty close to shore, there is also a ton of boat traffic, especially water taxis who are not always on the lookout for divers/snorkeled/swimmers.

Absolutely, you would have a hard time finding a dive master in West End/West Bay who would take you shore diving in the area due to the boat traffic.

@MaryOoooooh, there aren't any really bad dive shops in West End or West Bay. There are some I wouldn't dive with because they have a different vibe and I'm an older diver but certainly they are all qualified.

You should reach out to the different dive shops and ask about dive and rental rates. Many of them will give you a better price than advertised.

I also like Hole in the Wall, Texas, Pablo's, and there is a wreck fairly close called El Aguila at 110 feet with some nice penetrations. If you love sandy bottoms with small coral outcroppings and some interesting sea life, ask for Pobuda's Playground which is in between West End and West Bay.

West End - nice town with lots of restaurants and shops, small but nice public beach, and pretty much all a-la-carte except for Splash Inn who does packages with diving and food. They have a different special each day. A few others do stay/dive packages without food like Island Diving Center which doesn't charge extra for equipment rental. If you choose a la carte, food and booze and diving is pretty cheap.

West Bay - stunning beach but not a lot in "town". There are a some all inclusives there - Henry Morgan's, Mayan Princes, Infinity Bay and maybe a few more.

West End/West Bay aren't far apart - a $3 water taxi ride.

Diving is all around both of them. You should expect to pay about $40/dive and some shops include rentals.

Oh, and treat yourself to a birthday dinner at Roatan Oasis near West End. Especially if they are still making the General Tso’s Cauliflower appetizer. Come to think of it, treat your divemaster, too.

Back
Top Bottom