Greetings from Yanbu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Separately, does anyone arrange transfers (eg. Medina to Al Ula, Medina to Yanbu or Jeddah)? Any input or suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Highly unlikely and the main option would be to fly / drive the logistics of which come under the "Inshallah" area of traveling in the Kingdom.

If you are based up in Al Ula or Medina then it may be easier to fly to Jeddah than to Yanbu, better to check with the airlines on routes and timetables.

Renting a car and driving has its own risks.

Hi, I'm also a South African (living abroad) and am planning travel to Saudi in February for work. I've long wanted to dive in Saudi (particularly Yanbu) and am pretty excited to be visiting. That said, having spent quite a bit of time on the net, I am struggling to find an operator to schedule day trips in Yanbu (there seems to be reliable group in Jeddah). I am a DM (but don't work as one) and won't have all my gear with me i.e. will need to rent some gear (eg.a regulator). Separately, does anyone arrange transfers (eg. Medina to Al Ula, Medina to Yanbu or Jeddah)? Any input or suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Operators in Yanbu : dolphin diver is the easiest. On weekend only, a bit expensive (470 SAR, 2 dives), and their DMs can be annoying (one group etc). But it is definitely the most convenient. They offer trip to 7sisters and to Iona wreck. I advise 7sisters.

Transfer :
Medina to Al ula : rent a car, you will need it in Al ula any way
Medina to Yanbu : there are buses you can book online, but I advise to rent a car for flexiblity/reliability
Medina to Jeddah : flight, bus or (best option if you want to dive and have quick transfer) hight speed train

Hi, I'm also a South African (living abroad) and am planning travel to Saudi in February for work. I've long wanted to dive in Saudi (particularly Yanbu) and am pretty excited to be visiting. That said, having spent quite a bit of time on the net, I am struggling to find an operator to schedule day trips in Yanbu (there seems to be reliable group in Jeddah). I am a DM (but don't work as one) and won't have all my gear with me i.e. will need to rent some gear (eg.a regulator). Separately, does anyone arrange transfers (eg. Medina to Al Ula, Medina to Yanbu or Jeddah)? Any input or suggestions are certainly appreciated.
Hi..

We have trips almost on a weekly basis... (just a bunch of friends.) you are more than welcome to join us. Hit me up when you come to Saudi. I will sort you out with gear, no worries :)

Welcome

Many years ago, I attended college and became lifelong friends with a number of South Africans...Good and Great people!

They introduced me to the book Washing of the Spears about the Zulus
Which was verified by the timeless movie Zulu which I have viewed a number of times. I just never tire of that movie

SDM
I'll Have to read that book. sounds interesting. thanks for the welcoming :)

Operators in Yanbu : dolphin diver is the easiest. On weekend only, a bit expensive (470 SAR, 2 dives), and their DMs can be annoying (one group etc). But it is definitely the most convenient. They offer trip to 7sisters and to Iona wreck. I advise 7sisters.

+1 for Dolphin Diver.

An annoyance of the charters up north is all the boats seem to go to the same spot, as if more divers in one spot enhances the experience and that we needn’t be concerned about scaring the sea life away.

470SAR is cheaper than the current rate down in Jeddah, which has risen to 500 to 700SAR.

The Medina-Yanbu road trip is not impossible, about 2.5 hours. As others have indicated, the other legs are best flown if you don’t live there. I was there for two years and had the resources to haul divers and SCUBA kit for LOBs out of Yanbu and Al Lith (south) so driving all over the west was not a stretch.

If you drive anywhere, pay very close attention to the speed limits. It’s not the police you have to worry about but the speed cameras. The tickets can really complicate a smooth departure. I only had a couple of tickets during my time but knew first hand of others who had problems leaving the country because of unpaid tickets. No fun to be all packed up at the airport and find out you can’t leave because you haven’t paid your speeding tickets.

+1 for Dolphin Diver.

An annoyance of the charters up north is all the boats seem to go to the same spot, as if more divers in one spot enhances the experience and that we needn’t be concerned about scaring the sea life away.

470SAR is cheaper than the current rate down in Jeddah, which has risen to 500 to 700SAR.

The Medina-Yanbu road trip is not impossible, about 2.5 hours. As others have indicated, the other legs are best flown if you don’t live there. I was there for two years and had the resources to haul divers and SCUBA kit for LOBs out of Yanbu and Al Lith (south) so driving all over the west was not a stretch.

If you drive anywhere, pay very close attention to the speed limits. It’s not the police you have to worry about but the speed cameras. The tickets can really complicate a smooth departure. I only had a couple of tickets during my time but knew first hand of others who had problems leaving the country because of unpaid tickets. No fun to be all packed up at the airport and find out you can’t leave because you haven’t paid your speeding tickets.
Great info and yeah thats the price if you use the dive shops. We dive for around 200 to 250 a trip because we arrange it ourselves, all depends if we fill the boat or not,

Agree on the speed cameras, they are plentiful but it has made driving around here alot safer.

When any of you guys come diving in this area, hit me up, will be the cheapest around with a group of buddies.

That happened to a colleague of mine who was leaving Jeddah to attend his Mother's funeral. This was back in the 90s and it was resolved after the funeral!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom