Greetings from San Francisco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whale.shark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,
I got bit by the diving bug and have spent the last two years fairly focused on the sport. Joined a dive club in England(got introduced to low vis, cold water diving) and then spent all of my vacation diving Egypt and Indonesia. Now I'm in SF and looking forward to doing some kelp forest diving. If anyone is looking for a buddy or has recommendations on dive shops in the SF/Monterrey area I'd welcome the advice.

Welcome! I never thought that a form of algae would be one of my favorite things to see underwater, but kelp is great. I think all three shops in Monterey (the one with 'rr' is in Mexico) are good, Breakwater is the most convenient to the breakwater, a lot of people seem to like Bamboo Reef, but Aquarius has its favorites as well. Best of luck in your diving!

Hi @whale.shark! Welcome to SF! Like @outofofficebrb said, this one's for me. LOL

I am pretty much diving in Monterey every weekend and I'd be happy to be your tour guide. I can't this weekend because we have 18 OW students so we'll be busy, but the the weekend of 9/14-9/15 I'll be in Monterey for our Saturday night fun dive and our Sunday morning fun dive. You should sign up for those because you'll meet lots of neat people and I would happily be your tour guide. I love sharing the place I love with people.

I'm actually not diving the weekend of 8/31-9/1. If you wanted to dive one of those days I'd be happy to do that too. As for dive sites I have to recommend Point Lobos. That is my favorite. It's just so beautiful. To dive there you do need to make a reservation with CA Parks & Rec ahead of time.

As for a dive shop I am going to be totally and utterly biased and say you should rent from Bamboo Reef. I say that because that's the shop I work with. They have a location in SF and in Monterey so if you need any gear you can rent from either location.

Send me a message if you're interested and let's make this work. If you work in downtown SF maybe we can meet for lunch so you can get to know me and we can plan some awesome diving.

~Rebecca

Wow, thank you all so much. This is a lot more of a response than I expected. I actually own all my own gear (the tank part is questionable, but getting tested soon). I even have a mostly dry drysuit. Also whoops on the Monterey spelling, although I do want to dive Mexico someday as well.

Rebecca, I just reached out to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom