Greetings from Minnesota.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Msr1015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Mason and I am from Minnesota. Taking my OW class in a couple weeks and cannot be more excited. So as of right now, no experience. I did The discover scuba and it was amazing. I loved every bit of it. I joined This forum in hopes to finding good beginner regs, bcd, etc.

Welcome. Glad you're here. Yes, people can offer some recommendations on gear, but will need to know a bit more.

1.) Do you plan to dive locally, such as Great Lakes diving, and/or in really cold water? That could have a bearing on regulator recommendation. Also, regulators require periodic servicing, so you'll probably want one a nearby dive shop will service.

2.) The BCDs, there's the standard 'jacket-style' many people are familiar with, the back-inflate that can make horizontal trim at depth easier but could in theory pitch you forward a bit at the surface, and the BP/W (back plate/wing) setup that's similar in function but highly customizable, requiring you to make a range of choices.

The more people know about what kind of diving you intend to do, the more easily they can recommend things. Some may recommend holding off on big purchases until you do a few trips using rental gear, so if you lose interest you won't be selling expensive gear on Craig's List or similar at a big loss to yourself.

Welcome. Glad you're here. Yes, people can offer some recommendations on gear, but will need to know a bit more.

1.) Do you plan to dive locally, such as Great Lakes diving, and/or in really cold water? That could have a bearing on regulator recommendation. Also, regulators require periodic servicing, so you'll probably want one a nearby dive shop will service.

2.) The BCDs, there's the standard 'jacket-style' many people are familiar with, the back-inflate that can make horizontal trim at depth easier but could in theory pitch you forward a bit at the surface, and the BP/W (back plate/wing) setup that's similar in function but highly customizable, requiring you to make a range of choices.

The more people know about what kind of diving you intend to do, the more easily they can recommend things. Some may recommend holding off on big purchases until you do a few trips using rental gear, so if you lose interest you won't be selling expensive gear on Craig's List or similar at a big loss to yourself.
I will be doing just normal recreation diving around Minnesota. Don’t have much interest going to the Great Lakes like Lake Superior. Mainly will be diving in the summer time. Once I’m experienced enough I will Probably venture out and take more courses like dry suit, AOW, etc. but as of now just mainly casual diving. I have a 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, and booties. I am Only going to be buying regulators that have an environment seal and probably will only be diving 60 ft at max for now. Since 60 ft is our limit for OW. I was Looking at the aqualung core supreme that has an environmental seal. Great for colder water. And I was looking at the aqualung pro hd for my bcd. Not sure what to get for an octo. Planning on running yoke 1st stage. Mask/fins/snorkel I have already and love them. They work great as myself and a buddy went snorkeling already to test it out. Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom