Greetings from Koh Lanta, Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everybody! So I finally decided to get over my biggest fear and get into the open water. The night before my first dive I couldn't sleep and was uncharacteristically quiet on the ride out just concentrating on breathing and keeping my heart rate under 100bpm (Im pretty sure I failed at that but I tried nonetheless). I was determined to get at least one dive in though so made myself kit up and jump in! I went under, bobbed up, signaled I was ok, and moved away from the boat. Man was my heart racing! I knew if I put my face in though I'd calm down a little so I looked at the world beneath me and everything flipped 180! The fear melted away and I fell immediately in love! Now I can't get enough and will be starting my DMT soon! I'm really stoked to have taken that first step off the boat and look forward to being a part of this community.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Twofeetandabag. You've come to a great forum you can spend time during your surface intervals.

Thanks! This board has a lot of great info and seems like good people. I hope to keep my surface intervals short though. Haha!

I'd suggest waiting a little longer to do your DMT (assuming you mean Dive Master Training & not Diver Medical Technician). I think 25-49 dives is still in the beginner range of diving & I'm not alone in thinking this as you can see in this thread here: How many dives before you cease to be a beginner ? [Poll]

But in any case, welcome to Scubaboard. It's a great place to learn & socialize. And congrats on working through your fear! I had to work through fear after I almost drowned in a whirlpool on a dive. Fear can be a paralyzing force, but any time you confront it, it loses some of its power until eventually there's no fear left. :)

I'd suggest waiting a little longer to do your DMT (assuming you mean Dive Master Training & not Diver Medical Technician). I think 25-49 dives is still in the beginner range of diving & I'm not alone in thinking this as you can see in this thread here: How many dives before you cease to be a beginner ? [Poll]

But in any case, welcome to Scubaboard. It's a great place to learn & socialize. And congrats on working through your fear! I had to work through fear after I almost drowned in a whirlpool on a dive. Fear can be a paralyzing force, but any time you confront it, it loses some of its power until eventually there's no fear left. :)

Thanks NYCNaiad! I've already started my journey to become a Divemaster but I'll take your word of caution to heart; this isn't an endeavor I take lightly.

Sorry to hear about your near-drowning experience. I've had a couple close calls when I was younger which didn't help my fear but have quickly begun to overcome it now. Thanks for the welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom