Greetings from Beaufort, SC, USA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

writer

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a new diver and can't wait to get back into the water!

I work at a newspaper and freelance for a couple of magazines. This landlubber never thought much about diving until listening to friends talk about it recently. I live on the SC coast, so I figured I might as well dive in! Now, I'm hooked! I plan to get my AOW certification soon. I want to dive for fossils and artifacts as well as just to see the natural beauty I never knew existed!

I'm in the process of buying my own equipment. So far, I have everything except a reg (with computer) and tank. Saving up for those now!

I didn't realize how out of shape I was until I started diving. But I'm getting back in shape rather quickly.

So, greetings again from Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea! If you can't stop, please wave as you pass by!

See you at the bottom!

Welcome to SB.

Do most of my diving for sharks teeth down in Venice Florida, but I can understand your excitement about finding those fossils.

Got a brother in the MC who is stationed up in Beaufort. Went up there in Feb and its a beautiful little town (although looked like a lot of construction so must be growing).

Thanks! Yes, I like it here. The winters are very mild although the summers are hot and humid. But that's OK because I can get into the water to cool off! Lots of Marines come back to retire here. But I have one friend who refuses to visit. He said he left a lot of his hide on Parris Island and won't ever come back near this place!

The Betsy Ross was sunk in the late '70s and has become quite a reef. She's 17 miles offshore. Viz usually runs about 35 feet, but can be much greater as the Gulf Stream pushes in. The deck is about 60 feet deep and the bottom is at about 80 feet. There are many large holes that were cut into the hull —_large enough to drive a Volkswagen through! If you're ever back over this way, feel free to give me a yell. If you've never been out there, it's a GREAT dive!:D

Best wishes!

Ken

welcome to the boards and to the most addictive thing i've ever tried.....scuba.dive safe

I'm finding that to be true! I never realized how much fun scuba diving could be. I wish I had done this 20 years ago!:D

Ken

Thanks Deb!

Safety is the key to me. I've already bought a sausage, whistle and signal mirror. Now all I need is a flare gun!

Thanks again for the welcome!

Ken
(writer)

Welcome, I did a short stint down your way known as Parris Island. Take care and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome!

If you ever decide to pay us a visit again, be sure to look me up. There's a great wreck about 17 miles offshore, the Betsy Ross. Viz is uaully about 35 feet.

And we still have lots of Marines here. Ooorah and Semper Fi!

Ken

writer once bubbled...
Thanks for the welcome!

If you ever decide to pay us a visit again, be sure to look me up. There's a great wreck about 17 miles offshore, the Betsy Ross. Viz is uaully about 35 feet.

And we still have lots of Marines here. Ooorah and Semper Fi!

Ken

I have a brother that is stationed up there. Pretty much kicking back from what I heard. Decent short billet I suppose if you aren't a recruit. Went up there a few months ago for his wedding...now if I can only convince him to do some diving!

Carried you guys around on my ship for 4 years...welcome to the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom