Greetings from Anjo Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djbroussard

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a recent transplant to Japan and currently suffering a sever case of "fish out of water syndrome."

About two months ago I went to Mie prefecture with a dive shop out of Nagoya and enjoyed the rocky coast of Honshu. Except having to jump rocks with the cylinder strapped to my back.:wow_2:

I would like to meet people in the Nagoya area that would like to get together and do some diving. It doesn't need to be anything fancy as most of my dives have been quarry dives. Also I'm breaking in new gear and have more on order, so needless to say I just need some (a lot) practice.

Basically, I'm a DIR-minded diver that is working toward getting training in Technical Nitrox. I hope to have at least 110 dives in by mid-July.

Any comments on Yonaguni? I have an invite to watch the hammerheads there next month.

Cheers

Welcome! There is also a small but growing DIR group down here in Okinawa. The water is a bit warmer then up your way, too! Diving is year-round though in the winter we break out the 5 mils... :wink: Contact me if you ever make it down this way!

djbroussard:
Any comments on Yonaguni? I have an invite to watch the hammerheads there next month.

Cheers
Welcome to the board. I'd take an invite to Yonaguni in a heartbeat. I haven't been there yet but it's high on my 'to do' list. It also has the ancient underwater ruins. Go for it. Currents are supposed to be strong there so take care.

iflylow:
Welcome! There is also a small but growing DIR group down here in Okinawa. The water is a bit warmer then up your way, too! Diving is year-round though in the winter we break out the 5 mils... :wink: Contact me if you ever make it down this way!
Small, but growing... ?
You guys were the first...

Jim

Thanks for the replys. It seems that I be traveling a lot.:D My wife lived in Kyushu for a while so I'm sure I can convice her to return for a few days holiday. Okinawa (Yonaguni) is already on the list and it sounds that Izu is a do not miss here in Japan.

Does anyone have information on the cylinder sizes here in Japan. Specificly capacity, service pressure, dry weight and bouyancy. I would like to plan my weighting better than my 1st dive with a metric tank. I felt that I was going to breach like a Wolf class sub on full blow.:shocked:

Dewayne

djbroussard:
Does anyone have information on the cylinder sizes here in Japan. Specificly capacity, service pressure, dry weight and bouyancy.

Standard size is 10 liter steel tank, don't have the tare weight or buoyancy characteristics in front of me. Fill pressures are normally 180-190 bar, although I have seen a few at 200 or so.

We often use services that supply 12 liter tanks. In Osezaki there are a few places with 14 liter tanks for that 1+ hour shore dive...

Aluminum tanks are not common anymore due to strict regulations such as having to do VIPs every year and hydros more frequently than steel tanks. But we do still see them in places like Mikomoto...

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom