Greetings from a new diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potbellied yeti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I've been spending a lot of time doing research and trying consume as much knowledge (most of which came from searching here!) as I can ahead of my OW course next month. I'm located in northern MA, so not sure when I'll be able to do the actual open water dives.

I figure after the OW course I'd continue on to perfect buoyancy, nitrox, and nav first... but of course just enjoying some dives and working on my skills in between.

I think I probably broke what seems to be the cardinal rule here and ordered equipment before my course. But I was fairly certain I want to eventually continue on to tech diving, so I ended up with something I hope I can grow into:
OMS BP/W (27# wing) and smartstream harness, tank straps
XTX50 reg set + extra second stage for backup w/ bungee necklace
Perdix AI
2" SPG
Compass
SMB/finger spool
Line cutter w/ harness mount
Dive light
Mask that fits/fins/pocket snorkel
Misc. hoses of appropriate length for the setup
7mm wetsuit, 5mm hood/gloves, 3mm boots

I suspect I will not be able to use it for the OW course, but rentals are baked into the cost anyway and probably some of these items will not be used and left behind on my first several dives afterward, but hopefully I didn't do too poorly.

Looking forward to being part of the community and continuing to learn more and develop the skills to be a good diver.

Well, you're all-in!! I'd guess you can use the regulator, computer and SPG in your classes - but the instructors here will let us know about that one. The closer your open water dives are to your other training, the better. Use the skills before they begin to feel rusty if you can. Congratulations!!

Welcome to our merry band. I’m also from Mass (Marblehead and Boston). I sailed a lot but didn’t dive til much later, after moving here in New Orleans long ago.
You’ve bought “advanced diver gear” which is perfectly fine for new divers as well though I would assume more expensive. I bought gear during and right after certification. It made me dive more once certified, to “get my money’s worth”, while a friend who certified about the same time was always “going to buy gear once he had time, money, what have you”, never did, and never dived thereafter.
So I think you’ve given yourself the right motivation, as well as some nice gear.

Ive mostly dived in Florida and the central Gulf (which I recommend if you’re in the ‘hood) but a few New England dives when back up there—Gloucester (the Chester Poling wreck), Ft Wetherill in R.I., Woods Hole, Barnstable. It’s cold for sure but good diving.
Best wishes. I don’t travel much to dive, but Florida around Jupiter and West Palm, and the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank Marine Sanctuary on a liveaboard out of Freeport Texas have good drift-diving, and coral and many critters large and small, respectively. Well worth the effort if you’re in the area.
Best wishes!!

Welcome!

Curious about your choice of thickness on neoprene. Here is my setup and why:

wetsuit - 7mm - because it’s cold

hood - 7mm - because it’s cold and your head is important to stay warm

boots - 7mm - same as hood, but also like heavy boots for easy walking around (mostly shore dive)

gloves - 3mm - chose dexterity over warmth

Hi everyone, I've been spending a lot of time doing research and trying consume as much knowledge (most of which came from searching here!) as I can ahead of my OW course next month. I'm located in northern MA, so not sure when I'll be able to do the actual open water dives.

I figure after the OW course I'd continue on to perfect buoyancy, nitrox, and nav first... but of course just enjoying some dives and working on my skills in between.

I think I probably broke what seems to be the cardinal rule here and ordered equipment before my course. But I was fairly certain I want to eventually continue on to tech diving, so I ended up with something I hope I can grow into:
OMS BP/W (27# wing) and smartstream harness, tank straps
XTX50 reg set + extra second stage for backup w/ bungee necklace
Perdix AI
2" SPG
Compass
SMB/finger spool
Line cutter w/ harness mount
Dive light
Mask that fits/fins/pocket snorkel
Misc. hoses of appropriate length for the setup
7mm wetsuit, 5mm hood/gloves, 3mm boots

I suspect I will not be able to use it for the OW course, but rentals are baked into the cost anyway and probably some of these items will not be used and left behind on my first several dives afterward, but hopefully I didn't do too poorly.

Looking forward to being part of the community and continuing to learn more and develop the skills to be a good diver.
Welcome to SB @potbellied yeti. Thank you for joining our group.
Go slow with equipment purchase. Wait until you get more experience.

Wishing you the best.

Magnificent!

The garage sales for my first stuff didn't have any of the stuff you got for your first stuff

Welcome!

Curious about your choice of thickness on neoprene. Here is my setup and why:

wetsuit - 7mm - because it’s cold

hood - 7mm - because it’s cold and your head is important to stay warm

boots - 7mm - same as hood, but also like heavy boots for easy walking around (mostly shore dive)

gloves - 3mm - chose dexterity over warmth

For exposure gear I went to a shop and got some help. But what you say certainly makes sense... they told me I might have fin fit issues going with something thicker, but in hindsight I could always exchange for a size larger if it were the case. Thanks for the tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom