http://www.diveheart.org/

Greeting from a Returning Diver and Volunteer Climate Change Activist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Kelly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm a returning diver from the Pittsburgh area, and a volunteer for Citizens Climate Lobby, a national, grassroots organization that's working to address the climate and oceans crisis. We have over 150,000 members nation-wide and are currently supporting a bill in Congress, HR 763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. For more information, go to:

www.citizensclimatelobby.org

and
www.energyinnovationact.org

763 is carbon fee-and-dividend. It would place a fee on carbon-based fuels where they enter the economy and return that money to consumers in the form of a regular dividend check. It pushed the economy away from fossil fuels while protecting consumers from higher energy costs. Studies show that most consumers would get back more in dividends than they would spend in increased costs. It's highly thought-of by economists from across the political spectrum and it projected to reduce emissions by 40% in the first decade.

Last year, Project Aware joined businesses, municipal governments, faith groups and others from all across the country as an endorser of HR 763. Citizens Climate Lobby and the Act offer concerned divers and others an opportunity to respond to the climate and oceans crisis. We are active in every Congressional district and volunteers lobby Congress twice a year. We welcome folks from all walks of life and I urge everyone reading this to jump on board.

I have a question for everyone: how can I best spread the word about the organization and legislation? Can folks help me get the word out to others who are concerned about the damage being done by our emissions?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Studies show that most consumers would get back more in dividends than they would spend in increased costs

meanwhile those of us that travel a good ways to work end up paying more?

sorry, i already left one state to avoid absurd taxes.....im not about to support any more.

come up with a solution that doesnt require me giving more of my money to the govt, and ill hear you out.

the developing world is putting TONS of carbon emissions into the atmosphere........but apparently its my 1.6L 4 cylinder thats the issue.

It's all about conserving the marine environment, which is in serious trouble. It's no secret: the oceans are overheated, over-carbonated, over-fished and full of plastic. If we don't do something to fix these threats, who will? Are you just going to sit back and wlt the whole ecosystem collapse, or act? The EICDA is considered to be fair and effective. And most households will get back more in dividends than they spend in increased energy costs.

It's all about conserving the marine environment, which is in serious trouble. It's no secret: the oceans are overheated, over-carbonated, over-fished and full of plastic. If we don't do something to fix these threats, who will? Are you just going to sit back and wlt the whole ecosystem collapse, or act? The EICDA is considered to be fair and effective. And most households will get back more in dividends than they spend in increased energy costs.
I dunno..... I kinda like the whole global warming thing....

I no longer have to deal with harsh New England winters

Those pesky ice caps will melt, raising sea levels.... which will give me new places to dive

My inland property will now become a nice ocean front property

And we can finally kill off those damn polar bears

Tell me how any of that sounds bad?

Also, how is me paying more for gas going to reduce plastics in the ocean and solve overfishing again???

And considered to be fair and effective by who???

“Most” households are not going to get back more than they spend...... because that’s not how money works

If you want to talk about diving.... fine......but stop flogging your BS politics here....we have enough of that crap in our lives already, we don’t need any more of it here, is it really so much to ask to have one aspect of our lives without involving politics and having it jammed down our throats??

I agree those things need to be conserved, but taxing businesses and giving that money away is essentially a non-sequitur.

Heck, even a tax that actually is used to help deal with an aspect of one of those issues might be beneficial. Probably not, but you never know. Taxing businesses and then giving that tax away is silly. Doing it in the name of conservation is disingenuous at best. Honestly, my first impression was that the persons involved in this were just being malicious towards one or more of the targeted businesses.

I have a question for everyone: how can I best spread the word about the organization and legislation?

Do it somewhere other than ScubaBoard. Take a walk...

I am kind of surprised by the negative posts. I support HR 763, will contribute, will contact my representatives, and appreciate how you are attempting to educate others on this serious matter.

I am kind of surprised by the negative posts. I support HR 763, will contribute, will contact my representatives, and appreciate how you are attempting to educate others on this serious matter.
most of us are just sick of paying more taxes.....with the guise of "helping the environment".....its the same crap policies just wrapped up in an "eco friendly" bow to make it palatable.

if the Govt actually cared...they would incentivize tax breaks for companies that switch to clean energy......they would push trade deals with the developing world on the contingency they reduce carbon emissions...prioritize non-critical govt contracts to companies that utilize >50% renewable energy...hell, they could even push the EPA to mandate better fuel economy standards for automakers that sell in the US.

this bill is noting more than a means to pull money out of my pocket, and make the Economy activists feel like theyve actually accomplished something....this is essentially a sin-tax on fuel.

more importantly....were here to talk about Scuba..not to have politics disingenuously thrown at us

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom