green filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brannon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone use the green/freshwater filter on your GoPro?

Yes, I use the GoPro Magenta filter in the green water at Dutch Springs. Would use if off the NJ coast if I ever get out there again. Bought from the gopro web site.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

I use the one from Backscatter here in New England (with their flip system) with decent results.....almost always with light(s). The main advantage to the flip system is you can switch easily between the filter and a macro lens without having to carry extra pieces (or in warm water to flip between shallower and deeper filters)

I just posted to another thread regarding pea green water...that's my reality. I tried one brand of filter and then went with Backscatters magenta filter for green water. Unless you're prepared to color correct your video in post processing or you prefer the reality of pea green color saturation, do get a filter! It requires such little effort. The main thing to remember is don't use it until you're about 10 feet under (this will vary based upon sun penetration and water clarity). You'll see at the end of my vid I forgot to take the filter off. Oops....Unless you're prepared to color correct in post processing, and you do a lot of close ups with your lights on, remember to pop that filter off. Here is a decent vid I took two years ago. The magenta filter also helps a lot with your contrast. In green water it just desaturated the color and let's your subject pop a little nicer. Good luck!

Lake Pend Oreille Scuba Diving with GoPro Hero3 - YouTube

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 08:38 PM ----------

I know of a guy who does videos of my local area and posts to youtube. He mentions using "Snake River Prototyping GR Filter" or a "Magenta filter"

I'm sure he's on the forums somewhere and may reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12Fr5maRBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1UVWbv7Rbw

Those two videos are hands down the BEST cold water lake videos I have ever seen. Excellent presentation of subject matter thought the eye and the lens. Wow.....sign me up for these dives. And I have never seen Panfish before...very cool!!!! The bass and sunfish are so plentiful and not shy at all..makes me wonder how remote the lake was or if a rebreather was used. Don't tell....its part of the fantasy dive!

Those two videos are hands down the BEST cold water lake videos I have ever seen. Excellent presentation of subject matter thought the eye and the lens. Wow.....sign me up for these dives. And I have never seen Panfish before...very cool!!!! The bass and sunfish are so plentiful and not shy at all..makes me wonder how remote the lake was or if a rebreather was used. Don't tell....its part of the fantasy dive!

It's the Crosby iron mines in Minnesota and while it certainly doesn't compare to a pretty tropical reef, it's the best fresh water diving I've done! Very friendly (or curious, or hungry) fish.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

I use the one from Backscatter here in New England (with their flip system) with decent results.....almost always with light(s). The main advantage to the flip system is you can switch easily between the filter and a macro lens without having to carry extra pieces (or in warm water to flip between shallower and deeper filters)

I have not yet decided which brand of filters to buy. When looking at red filters I noted that Backscatter offers 3 different ones function of depth the other brands only one.
I would prefer to only have one and would appreciate feedback on your experience.

The 3-filter set from back scatter is for clear water diving. I have all 3 but like to use their macromate mini macro lens.... So with the flip system I have to choose 1 filter on any given dive. I use the 20-50 foot filter exclusively along with lights. For my purposes it is good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Backscatter flip system on my Hero4 Silver and it works great. There is a difference between the Greenwater and bluewater filters -- I did a comparison between the two on a dive earlier this year in the Atlantic Ocean, off of Ocean City, MD and the Greenwater filter was definitely better for those conditions. Also worked better at the local freshwater quarry. Once I'm confident in choosing filters for the expected dives, I could see possibly removing the 2nd filter, or perhaps swapping one out for the Macro lens option. For A-B testing though, it's helpful.

i want o
to buy a red filter and was wondering which of the three. Are you happy with your choice or would you recommend an other one? I have one light (up to 2000 lumen). Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom