Greek Islands are NOT a bad Diving destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManosK

Reaction score
Living+ working in the UK ** holidaying in Greece
Have been reading the threads and people commenting that the Greek sea has not sea life, that you cannot dive wrecks in Greece and in general that Greece is not a good diving destination.

I am not saying that you can compare Greece with the Maldives or Egypt or The Caribbean but is as good place to dive if you know where to go.

I am attaching a few photos of wrecks, fish and an ancient sea anchor that say it all (I think)

Fantastic! Love it.
I hope to go there someday. Thanks for sharing your photos.

I thought the big issue with Greece was that you aren't allowed to dive more than the lack of stuff to see...

p.s. I'd love to be wrong as I am looking for a place to go for my honeymoon in June and would like to see Greece AND dive...

Manosk:
Thank you for the invite. When I get there, I promise to look you up.
It is high on my list. Hopefully in the next few years, if not sooner!
Thanks for the kind words about my web site. It's not professional, just for fun!
Happy Holidays to you.
Warm Regards,
Natasha

First of all Hi to all!!

Deluca: I think you will enjoy it. But as I said do not expect anything similar to The Caribs of The Red Sea. Greece is different, with different fish, different sea bottom etc. If you go with someone who knows where the good places to dive are you will have a great time!!

mwilding: It was the case 'probably'. I never had any problem where to dive!! Greeks never paid any attention to these stupid laws/rules any way. I have been diving in Greece since I was 14 (46 now). I have dived wrecks, walls etc. Seen sharks, dolphins, seals, giant tuna, grouper, etc etc There are some fascinating rock formations in the middle of the Aegean about 20/30 mtrs deep with lots and lots of sea life giant Groupers, and other fish, octopus, congers etc etc. Tourists never get to go there.
As I do not get a thrill form deep dives (don't see the point really as you see NOTHING after 25-30 mtrs) I stick to sallow dives between 10-30 mtrs. I like taking photos and videos and I have been very successful doing that. You need to have patients to see and take photos of staff underwater.
Any way don't worry about the Greek laws they are just there and no one actually pays any notice to them!!
For example (some said in this forum that you are not allowed to dive wrecks in Greece). That is not entirely right. There is a ship wreck North of Makronisos Island, near Cape Sounion starting at 10 mtrs slopping down to 20-25 mtrs. There is a dive school in the area and they do many dives on the wreck and have no problem by the authorities (although the area is patrolled by the Coastguard all the time due to shipping traffic). Also same is happening in Paros, Naxos, Santorini, Cape Sounion and many other areas (we have 600 islands in Greece). In the same area I mentioned there is an MP who also dives and he is diving in most of the areas that is not allowed. No one ever has made any trouble EVER!!
All these so called 'rules' have been made by idiots who know bugger all about diving, the sea or anything else except being Sheppard’s on mountains (that is where most of them are coming from). So in reality no one is paying attention to them. Provided you DO NOT FISH and YOU DO NOT HAVE FISHING EQUIPMENT on your boat when you dive you are OK.
In Greece everyone who dives, dive where they want, whenever they want and all works fine!! There is NOT A PROBLEM!!
If you tell me where you intend to go for your honeymoon will let you know where is permitted to dive. Which are the GREAT dive sites in the area where you can dive (although it may not permitted) and you will have a great time without any one bothering you.

Natasha Great!!

And just not to forget
MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR & MANY DIVES :happywave

I'm just curious: Is this an oposit rig setup or mirrored picture ? Snorkel and regulator at the same side (left or right) ?

Back
Top Bottom