Greece in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be in Greece for ten days in late April with my family on a school group trip. Athens for a few days and then aboard a ship in the islands. Hoping to maybe squeeze a dive in somewhere/somehow. Any leads, ideas or tips?

Just basic diving, nothing too ambitious. We will be at Mykonos, Samos, Patmos, Rhodes, Heraklion and Santorini.

Definitely skip Santorini. There is nothing there. For Samos, I’d recommend diving in Pythagoreio (my favorite fishing village in Greece). Tony will show you some antiquities

If you go to Chania/Rethimno instead of Heraklion you can try Evelin Divers and go for Elephant Cave. Its an amazing site and very easy... (so dont let the 'cave' part scare you).

I have also dived with Atlantis Dive Center (also near Rethimno) and we went to a 'anchor graveyard with some amazing stuff to see) as well as the 'seal cave' (seal sighting is a rare thing).

Just back from Greece. Was able to get a dive in on the island of Rhodes with George at Trident Diving. It was awesome.
7GearUp.png
33Cavern copy.jpg

WetB4 says skip Santorini but that's the only Greek Isle we will be spending some time at. With the urge to submerge in such a beautiful place anyone have suggestions as to dive shop and dive sights in Santorini?

WetB4 says skip Santorini but that's the only Greek Isle we will be spending some time at. With the urge to submerge in such a beautiful place anyone have suggestions as to dive shop and dive sights in Santorini?
I just emailed someone who dove there last summer. I’ll let you know what he says.

I would recommend googling dive ops on the island. Often they’ll describe dive sites with pictures and maybe you will see something you like

Some things to consider. April is a bit too early. In several smaller Islands (eg Patmos, Samos, Mykonos, Santorini) the season might not be open by then. You are very lucky to visit these places out of season (later on some of them get packed with tourists) but on the diving end, I guess you will have difficulties finding an open dive operator. Anyway if you contact operators now (it's full season) they will be able to tell you about next April.
I know Heraklion has dive shops that are open all year (Heraklion is a relatively big city). However Heraklion also has Knossos Palace (hometown of the Minoan civilization and the oldest city in Europe) and museum and several other interesting things to see. Similarly all the other places you go have rich history and plenty of things to do/see. Usually the trip organizers will keep you (very) busy.
Are you sure you want/can skip all these to (nice but nothing exceptional) diving?

Back
Top Bottom