Great Wreck Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down in the Keys the Thunderbolt is a wonderful dive. So are the Duane and the Bibb. the Wilkes-Barre is a world class, Doria type dive for advanced techies.

Second that. (Hi Thal) The Spegiel Grove is a cool dive. Big! The Duane is one of my favorites. It can have a ripping current over it, though.
It's not the US, but there are some good wrecks in the Bahamas. There are several around Nassau and it's not far nor expensive, relatively speaking.

Please tell us about the Bahama wrecks.

I 3rd Key Largo wreck diving.! The Spiegel Grove is a great dive with a ton of life and plenty of swim throughs. Even some easy penetration if you are trained and comfortable. The viz is great during the summer and tends to not have too strong of currents. You can do the Spiegel several times and see different parts of the ship. The Bibb and the Duane are awesome as well, they do tend to have some strong currents occassionally. They are the exact same coast guard cutter but you get a different perspective since the Bibb is on its side and you get a great view of its props. The Duane has alot of sealife including some big black groupers, and 2 sea turtles thatl live inside. Speafishing is also allowed! If you have a chance to travel down the Keys on your trip as well, I would definitely recommend the Eagle and of course the Vandenberg in Key West! The satelite dishes on top are really cool. All of these can be done around 80-130 feet.

I had been considering NC, but my wife, who is now pregnant, won't be doing any diving. I wanted to find somewhere with a bit of culture above the water, what does NC have to offer in this department?

Also, how deep are the wrecks.

The area around Morehead City and Beaufort are pretty good. There's a few restaraunts, the Beaufort Butcher (I think its called), Roland's BBQ, and some other great eateries. There's also the Aquarium at Pine Knolls Shore which is worth a visit. There's the area around the waterfront that has some various activities to do topside.

The wrecks are within recreational limits, but general profiles are about 100' or better.

I'm going to get a week to myself of diving in July, and I was looking at Key Largo, but I might want something with a little more emphasis on wreck diving.

So, where are your favorite wreck diving locations? Preferably in the south, but all over the US of A is good!

The Great Lakes has some of the best wreck diving that I have ever seen. The shores of Lake Michigan are peppered with many old wooden ships, some of which date back to the mid 19th century. They are so nicely preserved because of the cold fresh water. Many are very deep but there are plenty within recreational limits too. Here's a link with more info on some of the wrecks in Wisconsin waters. Wisconsin's Great Lakes Shipwrecks - Explore Shipwrecks. IM me if you you want more info, e.g. charters etc..

WW

If you want culture and wrecks then NYC. The culture is obvious but people forget it's also called wreck valley. Sure, it's cold, dark, and unreliable but so is the subway. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom