Great Whites in November (Cape Town)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kommisarrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to be in Cape Town next week and are debating whether to do one of the great white cage sightseeing trips. Understand it's done out of gansbaii this time of year. We will have a car, so don't mind the ride. However, is it really a terrible time of year to do this? Any recommended operators?

I can't help you with time of year at all, but if you ask Marine Dynamics (or check their social media) they should be able to tell you what they've been seeing recently. I had their name recommended by two people, including a veteran CT dive guide, and thought they did an excellent job.

I also debated doing a great white trip (I did it March 2017) - I haven't done something that touristy in many years - but in the end was glad I did. The visibility can potentially be low (or in our case very low) and the water is cold, but the crew has worked with all sorts of conditions and handled everything beautifully. I've been lucky with shark sightings over my diving career but was still blown away by how massive these animals are in real life. Seeing them in person was completely different from seeing them in video or photographs.

If you're considering any other Cape Town diving, I just posted a summary of how much I enjoyed the local diving in another thread: South Africa diving - overview? .

Back
Top Bottom