Great White Shark and the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcatbubba

Trimix Instructor | Master Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello from DC. I'm introducing myself on vacation from Pensacola Florida where I have spent the last 2 days diving the mighty Oriskany. Truth be told, they were great dives albeit very challenging with current, two high pressure hose failures on my side mount rig, and a first stage failure on a 3 month old regulator at 80 feet on a deco dive. One of the most redeeming parts of the dive was a sighting of a 14 foot great white shark at about 100 feet right off the flying bridge. Our dive master Robert from H2O Below also saw it so I guess we have the first sighting of a White on the Mighty O. We hope our video comes out! Anyway, thanks for reading my intro and I look forward to interacting with the forum.

Interesting---------please post video here when you get it going......tia........

Katherine has been hanging around fairly near there. She's 14' so that matches your description pretty precisely. She's been in that area for about two weeks. Congratulations on the white sighting!

OCEARCH.ORG »Profile Katharine

Outstanding! Jealous, jealous, but glad you got to see it. I'd think seeing one on a dive rates as 'one off the bucket list.'

Richard.

Congrats on the Great White sighting, I belong to the same club out here in SoCal. With regards to your equipment failures, good grief, I don't have that many in the past 6 years, let alone a weekend ! What happened ?

Phantom hp hoses which are under recall. The 1st stage I don't have a clue about so won't mention the manufacturer as they are members here and I would prefer to figure out what happened once I get home and can have my tech break it down. Needless to say I won't do deep or tech dives with the rig for quite a while (if ever) even once it is fixed.

You know you're gonna have to move this to Accidents and Incidents so we can debate whether it's okay to blow off deco. stops when a great white shows up.

Richard.

tomcatbubba-------any luck with the video yet???..........

tomcatbubba-------any luck with the video yet???..........
No no not yet I've emailed our dive buddy who was shooting and has the video we are waiting to hear back from him. Hopefully he is home and in the process of pulling the data. I'm on pins and needles waiting....

Katherine has been hanging around fairly near there. She's 14' so that matches your description pretty precisely. She's been in that area for about two weeks. Congratulations on the white sighting!

OCEARCH.ORG »Profile Katharine

Judging by her track - it is unlikely that it is her. However, Whites do come into the Gulf. We haven't seen one on the O, but they love chasing the Bluefin Tuna that are about 75-100 miles off shore.

Reminds me quite a bit of the Orca sightings... Killer Whales in Gulf of Mexico - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom