Great Week in Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tejasdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from my first trip San Pedro.

So glad we spent the extra money to fly from BZE to San Pedro. We used Tropic Air, no problems at all. We took the water taxi from San Pedro to Caye Caulker one day, so I do not think I would have enjoyed it from Belize City to San Pedro. In my opinion, flying is the way to go if you can budget it in.

Stayed at The Tides Resort, a little north of town. Love it! It was close to everything, maybe 10 min beach walk. We did rent a golf cart for the week, but I do not think one is really needed.

The Tides is a small hotel , with everything you need. Large king size bed, nice frig, ceiling fans, cable TV, remote AC, daily maid service. Room was a good size, and every room had a oceanview. Had a great little bar on site, we spent evenings hanging out. The bartender, Butch is awesome. Anything you need to know, he is there to help. He made the trip very entertaining.

Patajos dive op that was onsite is very well organized, and has a great staff. We enjoyed hanging out after the dives with the crew.

Now the diving, only caught 3 dives for the entire week, due to sinus/cold problems. Seas were pretty rough, (or rougher than I am normally used to) Never made it to the Blue Hole, but there will be more trips, hopefully soon.

Estels for breakfast. Ruby's had some awesome banana bread. The Reef was good. Legends had great burgers. Elvi's Kitchen for dinner was nice. Pirates Pizza really good too. I think my new fav food is pupusas, love them.

Can't wait to start planning my next trip to Ambergris :D

Glad you had a good time but sorry to hear about your sinus issues.

On our first dive trip, I got swimmers ear--dumb, dumb, dumb--after diving a couple of cenotes below Playa del Carmen and missed out on the first four days of diving once we got to Cozumel.

The Blue Hole will still be there next time!

Last edited:
Yeah, you got some rough weather. It was windy for the last 10 days. I didn't get out this last Sunday. It was survivable but not comfortable.
It is really nice even for us locals to go to San Pedro just to experience all the different restaurants and food up there.
BUT, the diving is better down here and on the atholls. (Peter may argue this but what does he know? He's from England :D)
Glad you had a good time. Bummer about your sinus problem though.

Hank - I agree with you (about the diving)! Marginally.

To be honest, any diving warmer than the 40's with viz so that you can see your buddy is wimpish! The best diving is when it's marginally above freezing, you can only see the wreck (or the bottom) because you bang your knees on it, and you need a lamp even to read your SPG. That's why I now live in Belize. Err, something wrong there I think.

I agree about the pupusas. Waruguma was awesome.

We ate lunch at Waruguma. It was just ok for me. I tried a burrito. It was huge, but the beef was really tough. Maybe seafood was better. They did not have prices on their menu, and seemed irritated when asking the prices before ordering. I like the place that was directly across the street, Pulpusaria I believe was the name.

Ooh, don't you know that not eulogising about Waragume is distinctly non-PC? People have been taken out and shot at dawn for less! :D I am one of the local people who shares your view that it's so-so.

It's hard to find tender beef in Belize. The local beef just doesn't get fat like the herefords and angus cattle in the colder climates. Tough and not much flavor, which is probably why chicken is the meat of choice here.
It's much safer to order something with ground beef....and a lot of sauce on it to moisten it.

Ooh, don't you know that not eulogising about Waragume is distinctly non-PC? People have been taken out and shot at dawn for less! :D I am one of the local people who shares your view that it's so-so.

I know, I think I must have had too high expectations after hearing such great reviews. I figured no prices meant charging tourists one price and locals another.

Back
Top Bottom