Trip Report GREAT SOCORRO TRIP WITH NAUTILUS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We had a really nice Socorro trip on the Nautilus Under Sea March 12-20. Aside from the usual mantas and sharks galore, we also got a Whale Shark and an incredible dolphin encounter - which still leaves me amazed - so how can you complain? Plus we had a fairly nice ride down and a nice ride back up to Cabo so everything worked out well. And we had a really good group of people and a wonderful crew so who could ask for more? I've got the trip report done, the pictures are posted, and I've also posted a copy of the Nautilus-created trip video (which used a lot of our stills). Here are the links to those if you'd like to peruse any or all:

Thank you for your report and pix.

When we went on the Solmar last December, we were told that on the previous trip before ours, there was a dolphin at Roca O'Neill that did exactly that - laid on the bottom and played dead. Supposedly it just laid there enjoying belly rubs. Might be the same one as the one you saw. Must have been a prankster in a previous life.

Reminds me of a story Will Trubridge told me. Will was a world record holder in various freediving disciplines at one time (not sure now). He went out with a boatload of scuba divers off of one of the Bay Islands. At some point during the dive, he freedove into a cave just ahead of the scuba divers who were about to get there and just laid on the bottom. When the scuba divers got there and saw him laying there, they had the same reaction as you when you saw the dolphin on the bottom. And then he shocked them once more by "waking up" and swimming by them back up to the surface.

Thnx for posting

Great report, pix and video! What was your impression of the Undersea Hunter?

Thank you for the comprehensive report! I am making my first trip to Socorro on the Explorer in May. The report, pictures and video add to my anticipation level!

Thank you for sharing.

David

We had a really nice Socorro trip on the Nautilus Under Sea March 12-20. Aside from the usual mantas and sharks galore, we also got a Whale Shark and an incredible dolphin encounter - which still leaves me amazed - so how can you complain? Plus we had a fairly nice ride down and a nice ride back up to Cabo so everything worked out well. And we had a really good group of people and a wonderful crew so who could ask for more? I've got the trip report done, the pictures are posted, and I've also posted a copy of the Nautilus-created trip video (which used a lot of our stills). Here are the links to those if you'd like to peruse any or all:

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for taking the time to post them! Heading there for the first time in January 2024!

Back
Top Bottom