Great "RESEARCH" Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got back from a Steelhead fishing trip to Hell’s Canyon. We picked the wrong time because the bite was off most likely to a full Moon and the Moon Eclipse. We got a few but not many and had to release some BIG wild fish.

So with lots of time on our hands between rapids we got a real good history lesson about the area. Our boat captain is a third generation guide on the river and well respected.

We saw rings stuck into the rocks to pull Steamboats through them in the early 18-hundreds. It was a three-day trip from the Lewiston area to an up river Copper mine and a roughly a 4-hour trip back.

There was some evidence that might be from a big boat accident near the entrance of Hell’s Canyon.

Our Skipper told us one of the cables snapped while pulling a 130’ Steamer through the rapids and it turned sideways and got stuck. After a few days it broke in two and sunk. Apparently everyone got off OK.

Now my thoughts went from 100% fishing and running rapids to 90% thinking about diving this wreck. I am seeing a dive in the future…. Research is in order……….

The trip was great, NO PAGER and even the Cell gave up the ghost for three days.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom